walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A beginner takes on Tinto from the North

A beginner takes on Tinto from the North

Postby hsmuzo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:17 pm

Route description: Tinto from the north

Grahams included on this walk: Tinto

Donalds included on this walk: Tinto

Date walked: 12/05/2019

Time taken: 2.5 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walk 3, 2019. Time: c.2.5 hour. Weather: Bright, warm at base, cold at summit
Overall: :clap:

The biggest hill to date

Travel & Parking:
This was an easy journey from Glasgow. The start point was easy to find, though the car park busy.

The walk - a bit of a slog, but worth it
This was the biggest hill we'd attempted. As we set off from the car park with walking poles, and children running past us we felt silly at first, but soon it became apparent the poles were useful.

The first section - straight past the car park is quite pleasant and not too steep, though as the path veers to the right and gets rockier, several short 'photo stops' were needed. There was plenty of interest, and good views to keep us going. After a particularly steep rocky section the path evened a little - I think you can detour to a cairn at this point, but we kept going.

What looked the most grueling part - a long, dark, stony and steep section - leading to a false summit - turned out not to be too bad; with a few breathers on the way it was do-able. It led too, to a really pleasant flat section (much needed respite) following the edge of a mini-glen. Quite spectacular - it really felt 'wild'.

The final ascent was definitely the hardest - tired legs made this go on forever. I wasn't sure we'd make the 2.5 hour goal we had set ourselves - but after a real scramble to get up the gigantic cairn at the top, we made it with minutes to spare.

The 360 views were spectacular (especially with some marvellous wind farms to see!) - but the wind was bitter!
My learning is that a picnic is best saved for a bit further down!

The descent felt quick - though the poles definitely helped. Clearly I have poor balance as I tripped over my own feet on the flat path towards the car park.... after all that!

Overall, whilst a real slog for an unfit beginner like me, a great sense of achievement having made it. Would recommend.

R&R
In the interests of time we returned to Glasgow to eat.
hsmuzo
Hill Bagger

Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland