walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ooooh those summer nights (on the Moorfoot Donalds!)

Ooooh those summer nights (on the Moorfoot Donalds!)

Postby Jaxter » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:16 pm

Route description: Blackhope Scar and the Moorfoots

Fionas included on this walk: Blackhope Scar

Donalds included on this walk: Blackhope Scar, Bowbeat Hill, Dundreich

Date walked: 20/06/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 18.41 km

Ascent: 626m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A free Tuesday afternoon and a good forecast looked like a good excuse to take the car through and sneak some hills on the way home – as I was Portobello based that day a trip to the Moorfoots was on the cards 8)

I parked up near the Gladhouse reservoir, had a quick change and headed off along the road. This soon became more of a farm track

Wonderful news – a convenient crossing - not that it was strictly necessary in these dry conditions!

Across the bridge the track led me gradually uphill towards some ruined buildings

And some less ruined ones!

Looking back to the Gladhouse reservoir

And the Pentlands – it was a stunning evening 8)

The track led me past some grouse butts before becoming less distinct

Looking ahead towards Blackhope Scar

The many wind turbines of Bowbeat Hill lay ahead :shock:

A familiar sight in Donald territory – following the fenceposts!

As I approached the summit of Blackhope Scar the ground became a bit filled with boggy sections and peat hag nonsense but the weather was so good that the ground was dry enough to pass unscathed 8)

Summit of Blackhope Scar

Towards Bowbeat Hill

One of the really cool things about the Borders is the names on the hills and this is no exception – I followed Long Edge down to Kings Road Nick where I picked up a hydro track. Easy walking at least… :roll:

This track took me over Emly Bank and past Rocky Cleuch before I had to leave it to find the “summit” of Bowbeat Hill – not the most distinguished of summits :lol:

Better views back the way

Down the glen back to Gladhouse

From here I followed the track for a while – might as well make it easy for myself!

At the end of the track I headed off up the ridge, a bit pathless but easy enough walking to lead me to the summit of Dundreich

Back to Bowbeat Hill

Blackhope Scar

The Pentlands

My route so far – Blackhope Scar and Bowbeat Hill

Jaxter on Dundreich

Wee Arthur’s Seat

From here I followed the fence towards Jeffries Corse before straightlining it down to the Gladstone Cottage – hard work on the knees but I was getting hungry!

Pentlands again

Gladstone reservoir (cottage in the right hand corner)

Looking back up – left my route up, right my route down

Looking across to the ruins/non-ruins I walked up past

Back on the track 8)

It was a beautiful evening and I was feeling very warm as I headed for the car

Stopped for a wee shot of the reservoir – bit midgey to fancy a dip though :lol:

Trusty Colonel Mustard – look how clean he still looks :lol:
Attachments

Moorfoot Donalds.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland