walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Suilven abandoned - Time for some Munro Misery ;)

Suilven abandoned - Time for some Munro Misery ;)

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:14 pm

Route description: Ben More Assynt and Conival

Munros included on this walk: Ben More Assynt, Conival

Date walked: 25/05/2019

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Vlog :

Suilven, maybe Scotlands most iconic mountain, small in size but a giant in stature! Our plan was to have an adventurous trip by kayaking in from Elphin , camping under the mountain and then a morning assault for the summit before kayaking out.

Having a plans B (also C’s and D’s) is always worthwhile, especially if you are traveling a fair distance! Having driven for over 4 hours we arrived in Elphin with a stringer than forecast wind blowing in from the north west and thus right down the length of Loch Veyatie! Large waves and white horse were washing up on the south eastern shore and thus disappointingly , plan B came into play.

The last time I was on Convial and Ben More Assynt, it was a humid , clammy still day and I remember climbing up Conival and struggling with the heat and lack of wind (seems hard to believe!!). When we reached the summit we could see that beyond Ben More Assynt there were very dark big threatening clouds! However they were not moving as the wind was absent so we headed along the rocky ridge towards the second Munro of the day. As we reached the summit the big black cloud decided to unleash its fury on us a thunder clapped and white lightening flashed across the skies above us! We were not in the best place on the summit and to compound this the way back was along a long high ridge – again not the place to be. Anyway we made it down safely.

Back to today and the conditions couldn’t have been more different. With the wind that had scuppered our Suilven plans, a weather front had now decided to join the party! Heavy rain came down and waterproofs were on from the start! The 5km walk in was relativelt sheltered from the wind and wasn’t too bad but as we started heading up Convial the winds was ferocious. To add ti the weather misery, I had decided to break in a new pair of 3-4 season boots bought for this years Alps trip! They were good but on the ascent I decided I needed to tighten them to reduce heel rub and ended up tightening them far too much (ended up with a blister on the front of my ankle !- silly mistake). The weather, sore feet was compounded when I realised I had left my over trousers in the car!! So soaking trouser started to fill my new waterproof boots with water (again causing the boots to be a bit annoying!).

I wasn’t enjoying this!! Lol. Hunkering down in the summit of Conival we worked out we could make Ben More and get back before Dark so we headed on. If we thought the wind was bad here, the wind gusts on the summit of Ben More Assynt were worse. I was nearly knocked off my feet a few times! Reaching the summit we about turned and headed back the way we came and were back at the cars just before 10pm.

The adventure wasn’t over yet though as we sacked any plans to stay up for the weekend as the weather really had gone down hill! So at 2.30am (after much deer dodging ) I arrived home , knackered and glad to be home ! Mountain Misery to the full ;)

some pictures of drive home!:

ImageAssynt at dusk by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageAssynt sunset by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: Suilven abandoned - Time for some Munro Misery ;)

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:34 pm

Ah well, you win some, you lose some - nice photos on the drive home though :roll:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bruno » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:46 pm

Great report as usual! I did Conival and Ben Mor Assynt in late winter conditions in May this yera. Weather could have been more opposite to your day! Love the reports as always! :clap: :clap:

Iain
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

Postby al78 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 pm

This is why when the weather is crap, I tend to stay off the summits. I find it is not worthwhile slogging myself up a hill in uncomfortable conditions just to see the back of my hand.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:35 pm

Memorable days are made of that. Thank you for donning the steamin' hurty boots and managing to give us a giggle. Hope boots behave better before Switzerland.

I was up there in 2017 with a really reliable weather forecast which predicted storm early afternoon, and sure enough, I watched it rolling in over Quinag just as I headed back down off the ridge. Slippy muddy descent walk out in heavy rain - and frogs jumping out all over the place. Up there again (South BMA tops) the day before you two and it was claggy but not as windy. I would be sorry you had such a minger of a day, except... what a great report!
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:24 am

EmmaKTunskeen wrote:Memorable days are made of that. Thank you for donning the steamin' hurty boots and managing to give us a giggle. Hope boots behave better before Switzerland.

I was up there in 2017 with a really reliable weather forecast which predicted storm early afternoon, and sure enough, I watched it rolling in over Quinag just as I headed back down off the ridge. Slippy muddy descent walk out in heavy rain - and frogs jumping out all over the place. Up there again (South BMA tops) the day before you two and it was claggy but not as windy. I would be sorry you had such a minger of a day, except... what a great report!

It certainly was a minger 😂 I think the fact that I had a vision of standing on top of Suilven after a kayak in over a flat calm Loch , didn’t help the reality 😂😂😂
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:25 am

al78 wrote:This is why when the weather is crap, I tend to stay off the summits. I find it is not worthwhile slogging myself up a hill in uncomfortable conditions just to see the back of my hand.

Twas a bit miserable 😖 one I may remember for a while though 😂😂
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:25 am

rockhopper wrote:Image
Ah well, you win some, you lose some - nice photos on the drive home though :roll:

Haha - I was a loser this time - next weeks Vlog is a bit nicer though 😊☀️☀️☀️☀️
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:26 am

Bruno wrote:Great report as usual! I did Conival and Ben Mor Assynt in late winter conditions in May this yera. Weather could have been more opposite to your day! Love the reports as always! :clap: :clap:

Iain

Thanks Iain - a nice couple of hill and grand views when you can see them 😂😂👍💨💨
wilkiemurray

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland