walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

East and West Lomond, the unconventional way

East and West Lomond, the unconventional way

Postby Driver84 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:25 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: East Lomond, West Lomond

Date walked: 08/08/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A misty Sunday morning started with a drive to the Ochils in vain hope that the mist/cloud would break on my arrival, how wrong was I? It had only worsened. The cloud level was right down and covering Woodland Park. So a quick thought on what to do had me soon driving through to Falkland to attack the Lomond Hills.

Parking in Lomond Side, Falkland, by the mill I made my way south up the hill following the signposts for East Lomond through the plantation.
The path initially starts off on stairs past a small sub-station before becoming a forest track that is clearly defined but soon returns to stairs, of quite considerable height as height is quickly made. (It had appeared I'd forgotten how to pace myself and I was soon sitting on the stairs regaining my breath!)
Soon the stairs lead out of the plantation and turns back onto a defined track and is clearly seen rising towards the top of East Lomond.
Within 40 mins of heading off (my breather included!) I was at the cairn/viewpoint, where I spent 15/20 mins talking to a few of the fellow walkers who there also.
P1050713.jpg
East Lomond viewpoint

P1050710.jpg
Falkland from top of East Lomond

P1050711.jpg
My car, back at the start

From here I was planning to continue to walk on to West Lomond. However I was to do this the unconventional way. I retraced my route up, back down to the car, and on walking through the plantation was greeted by a couple of deer by the sub-station. I was back to the car in about 25 mins, and from here I drove to the car park/picnic area located on the Falkland to Leslie road, to which I was greeted with hoardes of people and cars and managed to find myself a wee space to park.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

From the car park, again the signs show the way to the track taking you towards West Lomond, through a steel gate and across a small section of field before joining the main track which is easy going of small stones/rubble, but is still level. The ground was covered at a reasonable pace, but not hurried either.
P1050714.jpg
Thistle and West Lomond

On approaching the base of the last bulk of the hill there was a considerable number of people descending the route which was clearly visable on approach, however by following the split in the track to the NW a faint track in the grass ascends the north side of West Lomond which is fairly steep but isnt over any considerable distance.
At the summit were a couple of cairns, and a central trig point.
P1050718.jpg
West Lomond trig point, East Lomond behind

I sat at one of the cairns to have a bite to eat, having not had anything since setting off but that idea was quickly ended as there was a wasp nest within the cairn and it was swarming.
P1050720.jpg
Wasps! :0S

With this I decided it was best just to head off the hill and back to the car.
A quick descent down the track that was previously busy, not to steep or tricky but might cause some issues if wet, and I rejoined the main track leading back to the car park and was back to the car within 40 mins, taking a more lesuirly stroll.

Unconventional and not the best way to do these two hills together but gave me the burst out I was looking for.

Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Driver84
Mountaineer

Munros:46   
Grahams:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: East and West Lomond, the unconventional way

Postby Gable Gable End » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:54 am

i did the climb up to east lomond in the dark last winter and had a hefty overnight kit and i was scunnered for breath, it may be small but it's rather steep! :shock:
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Grahams:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland