walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A glimpse into the Wild

A glimpse into the Wild

Postby zatapathique » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:51 pm

Route description: Chno Dearg and Stob Coire Sgriodain

Munros included on this walk: Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 07/06/2019

Time taken: 7.1 hours

Distance: 16.2 km

Ascent: 1112m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For my first 2019 Munro walk, I chose the relatively easy pair of Stob Coire Sgriodain and Chno Dearg, which have the advantage of being right in the centre of the area I had chosen for this year's trip to Scotland: Glen Spean. I hoped to be able to get a good overview of the mountains I intended to climb in the next 10 days, sort of doing a bit of recon.
Indeed there were good views in all directions, especially into the wild & empty area towards Loch Ossian. However, the walk itself was not that spectacular. The report will therefore be pleasantly short, and I'll rather let the photos speak.

20190607_ACTIVE LOG085036_Grafik2D.jpg
Altitude profile

It has to be said that the drive to Fersit from the A86 is really beautiful. Less beautiful is the first climb up the slopes of Sròn na Gàrbh-bheinne. Very wet underfoot, quite steep, and I always felt that it would be easier to go up a few dozen metres to the left or the right, no matter which route I chose.

On the slopes of Sròn na Gàrbh-bheinne. From left to right: Beinn a' Chaorainn, Creag Meagaidh, Loch Laggan with Binnein Shuas to its right, then Creag Pitridh, Geal Charn and Beinn a' Chlachair. Click to see large.

Bild0038 IMGP7204.JPG
Summit Cairn on Stob Coire Sgriodain, Creag Meagaidh visible in the left background, the Creag Pitridh Munros in the right background

Loch Treig with Stob Coire Easain and Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin. Click to see large.

Bild0048 IMGP7214.JPG
Light on Creag Ghuanach, Southwestern corner of Loch Treig

Bild0051 DSC_0032.JPG
Quartzite near the summit of Stob Coire Sgriodain

At some point here two hill runners silently ran past me, possibly doing the walk in a third of the time I used, or even less.

Bild0053 DSC_0034.JPG
One of the tops near Stob Coire Sgriodain

Bild0056 DSC_0035.JPG
The little lochan between Stob Coire Sgriodain and Meall Garbh, the Easains in the background

Bild0062 IMGP7222.JPG
View back towards Stob Coire Sgriodain from the little Lochan, Lochan Coire an Lochain in the right

Bild0064 DSC_0037.JPG
A little spring below the summit of Chno Dearg

Bild0065 DSC_0038.JPG
View from the Southern slopes of Chno Dearg towards Meall Garbh, Beinn na Lap in the left background

All the showers so far had been kind enough to pass around me, on the summit of Chno Dearg one finally git me, but it was very brief. It was quite cold, though, it felt as if it was hardly above freezing.
Some time during the long walk down the Northern slopes of Chno Dearg, I suddenly noticed two dogs approaching behind me in the distance, but no person. I was already mentally preparing to make use of my mighty +1 Blue Hiker's Red Stick of Defence (played too many RPG...), when I saw the owner catching up with the dogs. Being much faster, they went past me some distance to my right. The rest of the walk was uneventful and increasingly boggy until I was back on the track leading to the car park at Fersit.

20190607.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

zatapathique
Mountain Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:4
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:26   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland