walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Misty Miss Fara

Misty Miss Fara

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:04 pm

Route description: The Fara, Dalwhinnie

Corbetts included on this walk: The Fara

Date walked: 01/06/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 750m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was the first weekend of June and weather turned sour. We were hoping for some sunshine down south to bag Ben More and Stob Binnein, but the best weather was forecast for the east, so we grabbed OS maps for the Grampians, to find something interesting enough to be worth repeating in so-so conditions.
Only a couple of weeks earlier, we visited Ben Alder from Dalwhinnie and back then Kevin mentioned repeating The Fara traverse (which we had done in 2012 in less than perfect weather). I was happy to follow him up another steep slope, as long as we had at least a chance to see some views, so I said, why not.
This is not going to be a very long report with much detail about the things we saw and experienced en route, simply because we didn't see/do anything remarkable, apart from one close encounter of furry kind. Having said that, Miss Fara is a lovely mountain and the ridge is asking for full winter traverse (on Panther's to-do list now!). We took our time and strolled along at slower pace, enjoying the walk despite cloud and drizzle. Our route follows the WH instruction, traversing the long ridge of the Corbett from north-east to south-west.
We left home in a hurry and Kevin forgot his GPS, so the route below is drawn rather than recorded:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked at the very same spot as last time, by the entrance to the water works, geared up and set off, this time on foot, keeping fingers and toes crossed for weather to improve, as at the moment it was looking dubious to say the least...
Kevin marching along Loch Ericht:
2019-06-01 the fara 004.JPG

We passed the first lodge, which looks like a miniature fairy tale castle:
2019-06-01 the fara 005.JPG

I was glad we were only doing a 20km walk today, rather than trying to reach Ben Alder! The dark cloud lingered around...
2019-06-01 the fara 009.JPG

...and we knew we might get wet if the wind doesn't push the clag away. But we were prepared for the wet option :lol:
I was worried that the extensive tree feeling might have destroyed the firebreak which leads straight to the summit, but thankfully, it is still intact and can easily be climbed, no fences or fallen trees blocking the route:
2019-06-01 the fara 014.JPG

Not much to say about the initial climb, it's basically 500m of uninspiring slog on grass and low heather, a few boggy stretches and some peat hag hopping, but nothing too off-putting for a hillwalker who has been experiencing Scottish wilderness for over a decade :lol: :lol: As they say, if you are out climbing a hill and it's not boggy, you are not in Scotland :lol: :lol:
The clag still lingered but it was patchy so I hoped that it might, just might lift when we reach the summit...
Kevin on the upper slopes:
2019-06-01 the fara 023.JPG

View east, top end of Loch Ericht, Dalwhinie and the bulky massif of Meal Chuaich behind:
2019-06-01 the fara 099.JPG

View due south across the loch:
2019-06-01 the fara 100.JPG

We located the well-known feature on this slope, a substantial stone dyke...
2019-06-01 the fara 108.JPG

...and followed it up to the summit cairn. Note I'm wearing waterproofs in this photo - we did most of the climb in annoying drizzle:
2019-06-01 the fara 110.JPG

The summit cairn is huge and I always wondered why so much effort was put into building such a substantial structure just for the sake of marking the highest spot on a long ridge?
2019-06-01 the fara 025.JPG

The ridge from here goes in south-western direction, over many tops, lumps and bumps, most of which invisible at the moment:
2019-06-01 the fara 029.JPG

Kevin and Lucy on the summit. She climbed her 99th Corbett, the next one will be her celebratory first ton!
2019-06-01 the fara 035.JPG

We sat down by the cairn and waited for maybe 15 minutes for the cloud to lift but it was reluctant to move away...
2019-06-01 the fara 031.JPG

...so we run out of patience and decided to start the traverse. If we didn't see anything, so be it...
2019-06-01 the fara 037.JPG

There are four separate tops on the SW ridge of The Fara, but with little drop between them, it doesn't take much effort to traverse them all. If only Mother Nature gave us some slack! The drizzle stopped but the cloud was stubbornly sticking to our hill. Obviously, Miss Fara was in capricious mood today!
So was Kevin :lol:
2019-06-01 the fara 040.JPG

On the way from the 2nd to the 3rd top (they are not named, making things confusing!) we walked out of the cloud for a short time:
2019-06-01 the fara 046.JPG

...and Kevin spotted a good point for views down to Loch Ericht. We couldn't count on anything more today, and SOME views are better than none!
2019-06-01 the fara 061.JPG

Loch Ericht, view west:
2019-06-01 the fara 065.JPG

Loch Ericht, view east:
2019-06-01 the fara 068.JPG

Panther in the mist:
2019-06-01 the fara 115.JPG

A quick panorama, using a mobile phone camera:
2019-06-01 the fara 123.JPG

The ridge continues past top no 3 (901m)...
2019-06-01 the fara 119.JPG

...to the last one, the only one with a name - Meall Cruaidh. Very little to see at the moment, apart from a summit cairn and a not-so-moody Kevin:
2019-06-01 the fara 074.JPG

From the last top, it's easy descending on grassy slopes into a shallow corrie, Coire na Meine. As we descended below the cloud, some views emerged, but the weather still looked capricious and we didn't hold much hope for the rest of the walk...
2019-06-01 the fara 076.JPG

Fiddling with his phone... He didn't bother taking the bulky bridge camera for a cloudy day like that.
2019-06-01 the fara 079.JPG

Views along Loch Ericht:
2019-06-01 the fara 133.JPG

We headed for the gap in the forest, visible in the middle of the picture below:
2019-06-01 the fara 135.JPG

I remembered from our previous visit, that there was a wooden gate in the fence, but couldn't see it from the distance, but when we were closer, it became clear, why. The gate is no longer standing :lol:
2019-06-01 the fara 084.JPG

Weather started to improve ever so slightly, one or two rays of sunshine through the cloud gave us some hope that the return walk won't be in heavy rain...
2019-06-01 the fara 085.JPG

We descended to the track just above Ben Alder Lodge and decided to take a short snack break by the bridge at the edge of the forest, by the back entrance to the Lodge grounds. As we stood there rummaging through our rucksacks, I spotted movement with the corner of my eye. I turned towards the bridge and, to my astonishment, I saw a pine martin walking across. I recognized it immediately, the creamy-yellow bib on the throat was unmistakable. I gave Kevin an elbow, he turned around and gaped, gazing at the animal. The pine martin just kept walking at a lazy pace, reached the end of the bridge, gave us one short look ("Oh, no, people again!" kind of attitude) and disappeared in the bushes.
We returned to our snacks, finished them and started putting rucksacks back on, when the curious pine marten appeared again. It simply walked out of the bushes, waving its tail, and walked back across the bridge, hopped up the steeper slope into the forest on the left hand side and was gone. We were so shocked that we completely forgot about our cameras! The whole attitude of the animal was like people were just a nuisance for him/her :lol: The wee bugger was showing off!!!
Funny, during our previous visit to The Fara we also met a pine marten, as it was crossing the road a bit further back along the road. Not likely to be the same one. Wikipedia says " they can live up to 11 years. 3-4 years is more typical, however" so probably a different individual, but it only proves my point that the forest on the slopes of The Fara must be a pine martin haven!
We were surprised to see one in daylight, but maybe they are attracted to human habitations the same way foxes are: humans = rubbish, rubbish = easy food. Officially, their diet consists of small mammals, carrion, birds, insects and fruits, so maybe they go close to people to scavenge on what we throw away.
After the bonus encounter we had a good subject to talk about while walking back along the track. Weather was improving (shame it took so long for the sun to come through) and we didn't hurry, enjoying the warmth of the afternoon. Some stubborn cloud still lingered over higher mountain tops...
2019-06-01 the fara 140.JPG

We took the "bottom route" to avoid the main track for a short distance:
2019-06-01 the fara 093.JPG

The cliffs of Geal Charn from across the loch:
2019-06-01 the fara 095.JPG

The summit of "our" Corbett never cleared, but we still had a nice day walking the ridge and then returning along the loch. Would happily return to repeat this route in winter conditions!
On the way back:
2019-06-01 the fara 097.JPG

The following weekend we took the opportunity that weather was good in the far north. We visited a certain crash site which had been on our radar for a few years. As a bonus, we climbed a nearby Munro :D It was a fantastic day in the Assynt end of the world, one of those days we will always remember with big smiles. TR to come soon.
Last edited by BlackPanther on Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Misty Miss Fara

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:38 pm

A lovely circuit this. Shame you didn't get the views west but you were well compensated by the appearance of the showing off pine marten! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Misty Miss Fara

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:37 pm

dogplodder wrote:A lovely circuit this. Shame you didn't get the views west but you were well compensated by the appearance of the showing off pine marten! :D

It's always a shame when cloud doesn't lift :( We had seen some views the previous time we did this route so we know how it looks like when weather smiles... A winter traverse is now high on our priority list.

What is the chance to see a pine martin twice on the same mountain? We were incredibly lucky :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland