walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munro Summit Camp

Munro Summit Camp

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 18/05/2019

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Video:

Carn Liath Wild camp

In this spring and summer of rain and colder conditions , a few days opened up where a strong southerly air flow was providing us with a glimpse of what could be- a few days of temperatures over 16 degrees centigrade!!!
I suppose we cant have it all, after last years fabulous weather, we couldn’t possibly expect two years of good summery weather;)

With the forecast few days of good weather, I immediately started to think of a summit camp as I hadn’t done one since my camp in balmy conditions in February (in fact that weather spell had been more summery than most of the summer!!!). Having done numerous camps in Glencoe I decided I wanted something different and not too far away as time was short, so I decided on Carn Liath on the Beinn a’ Ghlo mountain range.

Leaving the car late into the afternoon I took a stroll up the short approach before starting the climb up Carn Liath. Path renovation work is currently being carried out to try and protect the mountain a little and I stopped for a while to chat to the workers putting this in place.

Further up the hill and the wind was whistling in from the south. It was certainly stronger than forecast I was a little apprehensive that it would be even stronger on the summit. However as I had been up here numerous time on day trips I was pretty sure I’d be able to find a sheltered spot somewhere close to the top.

Before long I was relieving my shoulders and dropping my rucksack at the summit cairn. The weather was good but the wind was still blowing so I set about looking for somewhere a little sheltered to pitch up. Luckily , just beyond the summit the lee of the slope gave me some shelter and I set camp.

ImageBeinn a Ghlo by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagelayers by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

With longer hours of day light I Ioitered around the summit taking photos and enjoying myself  I was really hopeful for a nice sunset but around 8pm the cloud filled everything to grey  rather appropriate for Carn Liath, the peak of the grey rock!

Disappointed at no glorious sunset, I retired to the tent, set the alarm for an hour before sunrise (early!) and caught a few hours sleep.

The disappointment of the prior evening was blown away (literally) the next morning as I was treated to a cracking sunrise  The wind was still blowing but it was a warm wind so I was enjoying watch the skies turn from pink to orange and finally yellow and blue as the sun rose into the sky 

Imagesummit camp sunrise by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagesunrise over Perthshire by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagesunrise cairn by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagedawn by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

A fabulous morning and I was on my way back to the car before 8am and home before 10am- a grand wee adventure and so glad I made the effort as the following months showed no signs of more summer weather!!
wilkiemurray

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland