walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 from Fersit in plenty of weather

2 from Fersit in plenty of weather

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:46 pm

Route description: Chno Dearg and Stob Coire Sgriodain

Munros included on this walk: Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 20/06/2019

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 940m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

on Wednesday we climbed the three munros Creag Pitridh, Geal Charn and Beinn a'Chlachair from Laggan Bridge. Arriving back at the car we drove down to Fersit on a lovely evening with all the summits visible; I think this is the first time we have ever been in the area with clear views and what lovely looking mountains they are!
We parked at Fersit and found a place to camp quite near the car hiding behind a moraine. It was even so lovely I was able to sit outside the tent and do a couple of rows of knitting before the midges appeared.
P6193179 (2).jpg
knitting at Fersit

We slept late in the morning so after having breakfast and packing up the tent it was nearly ten o'clock before we set off on our walk.
It was not a beautiful day at all. The hills were shrouded in cloud and from time to time we had lashing rain. If there was a path we didn't find it. It was cold, requiring more garments than I would generally expect from late June. You get clear of the farm buildings and go straight uphill, keeping to the right of the burns which come down the hill near the farm. It is very boggy. Stob Coire Sgriodain is rough going and steep with a lot of false summits. I always like to think that false summits mean that the hill is getting less steep, but this hill seems to manage it while staying steep all the way up! You might have thought that this would have made for a bit of a miserable day, but actually it was very enjoyable (mostly). From time to time we had glimpses of views and it appeared like it was going to clear up. We almost had views from the summit and we claimed it as a cloud-free Munro.
P6203182.jpg
keep to the right of the burn

P6203187.jpg
a nice lochan

P6203194.jpg
a wee tree doing its best

P6203197.jpg
Looking back the way we came. The wee lochan on the right is at Fersit

P6203198.jpg
Looking up Glen Spean towards where we were yesterday

P6203199.jpg
First view of Loch Treig

P6203200.jpg
Where we were yesterday - from left to right, Binneins, Creag Pitridh, Geal Charn, Beinn a' Chlachair

P6203202.jpg
Easains considering clearing up

P6203205.jpg
ooh look there's the top!

P6203208.jpg
and here is Rudolph on the top

P6203209.jpg
and me. OK so the views aren't very impressive but you can see Loch Treig and the side of the Easains so I am claiming it.

There are bits of path between Stob Coire Sgriodain and Chno Dearg but it still demands some careful navigation as the ground coming down Stob is quite lumpy and rough. Halfway down it cleared up briefly and we found a sheltered spot for a brew.
P6203213.jpg
bit of dramatic cliff

P6203216.jpg
The cairn on the 958m top of Stob Coire Sgriodain. Someone has taken a lot of care over this picking out the quartzite stones

P6203219.jpg
ooh a quick glimpse of a view

P6203220.jpg
and another though blink and you might miss it

Chno Dearg is a completely different hill from its neighbour, just a steady plod up grass and a bit of stone at the top. Sadly no view and we took a bearing off the top straight for the farm and just went for it.
P6203223.jpg
up Chno Dearg. an MTV track appeared for a while

P6203227.jpg
Rudolph on the summit with a big blob of water on my lens

P6203228.jpg
me on the top

If you don't mind wet feet it is actually a very nice descent; once out of the cloud you can see exactly where you are going, nothing taxing, just avoiding the odd moss pool and hag, and lower down there are some bonny waterfalls and gorges to keep the interest up.
P6203230.jpg
Looking back to where we were earlier

P6203231.jpg
Just head for the farm

P6203235.jpg
a waterfall in a gorge. in real life it looks much more impressive

P6203236.jpg
Birch and rowan growing in the side of the gorge

P6203239.jpg
some white lousewort with a bit of the normal purple. I'm told the white is quite rare, like white heather. There's also some on Stob Ban in the Fisherfield and the Big Bookle

P6203241.jpg
Looking back up stob coire Sgriodain. Weather hasn't improved any. but the forecast for tomorrow is for an improving day.

We were back at the car at around 4.30pm ready for the next adventure, which was tea at the Real Food café en route to Loch Lomond and the Arrochar Alps.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland