walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fruin to Cruach an-t Sidhein

Fruin to Cruach an-t Sidhein

Postby weedavie » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:46 am

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn a'Mhanaich, Cruach an t-Sidhein

Date walked: 26/06/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1030m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

These two hills seem better done from Luss, but I got seduced by the shorter cycle from Helensburgh. It's amazing the swift contrast between suburban Helensburgh and a mile later highland Glen Fruin. Also it was odd cycling up the quiet road that was the main road up the glen when I was last on it 50 years ago.
1 650.jpg
OK, you spot the path, then!

There's a path marked up to the Luss Glen from the reservoir and also on some maps, but not the OS, which in this case is right. I found myself stumbling through rough tussocks and marshy bits, doing 3 kph where I'd counted on 5. The warm sunshine was not helping either and at the watershed I abandoned thoughts of adding Doune Hill. In fact when I traversed on to the shoulder of Beinn a'Mhanaich, I looked at the descent and reascent to Cruach an-t Sidhein and thought in terms of a one hill day.
2 650.jpg
Disheartening.
It took all the force of the money I'd shelled out on a train ticket from Edinburgh to keep me going.

Cruach an-t Sidhein's a nice summit but you despair of your ability to guess Gaelic pronounciation when you press the Walkhighlands button! The camp in the foreground of the picture doesn't appear on my 2003 OS sheet - it was still a military secret then.
3 650.jpg

It was turning into a beautiful warm day, not at all what I wanted for the return to Beinn a'Mhanaich.
4 650.jpg
Near, but somehow far!

I went up a steepish gully then traversed on to the ridge. I made the summit an inch or two ahead of heart failure. It looked like no distance to the reservoir and my bike.
5 650.jpg

In fact for the first time that day, I was on good paths and easy slopes. It's definitely a good idea in the Luss Hills to get on a ridge as soon as you can. This ridge is covered with military warning signs but I didn't care. I got back to my bike, saw a flat tyre and burst into tears. More in hope than anything else I inflated it. It stayed up! That got me five miles and one more inflation got me to the station. Couldn't be bothered with a pint in Helensburgh, I reckoned the sun would still be on the steps when I got home.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

weedavie
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland