walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hot Stuff on Fionn Bhealach

Hot Stuff on Fionn Bhealach

Postby rob munbett » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:17 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Fionn Bhealach

Date walked: 27/06/2019

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 9.9 km

Ascent: 461m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was a HOT day. I thought I would head over to Arran to have a walk up a hill there as I might enjoy a cooling sea-breeze. No chance! Off the ferry, a mad dash to get on the overcrowded bus, which broke down just outside Brodick and had to be replaced. So, I arrived in Lochranza later than planned and already rather frazzled. I started off up the good hill path across to Laggan just after midday, the heat already stifling.
P1040279(1).JPG
Looking back down the Laggan path to the Arran distillery
I reached the cairn at the high point and just headed up across the trackless moorland towards the top of the hill.
P1040281(1).JPG
Looking up the hill from the cairn on the Laggan path, no summit in sight
I tried to stay on the sea-side of the hill in the hope of catching what little breeze there was but it was baking hot and the awkward terrain of heather, deep grass and tussocks was not helping. Added to that, the midges and cleggs were making this part of the day a bit of a trial. However, after coming over a few rises the summit trig came into view and I was able to stand for a while to admire the view over to Ceum na Caillich.
P1040285(1).JPG
Still heading up
P1040287(1).JPG
The very white summit trig
A quick check at the watch told me that I better get moving in order to catch my bus back to the ferry from Lochranza so I headed off back down the slopes on some faint animal (?) tracks and reached the high point of the Laggan path in quick time. Then, a sedate stroll down the path in the full afternoon heat brought me down to the village of Lochranza where I sat on a bench and ate my late lunch and took on some fluid before the bus arrived. I have to say that the bus was SO crowded with standing passengers that even a sardine would have felt claustrophobic and it was running a bit late so the driver had to hurtle back to Brodick to ensure that we were able to catch the ferry. Not at all a pleasant experience.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland