walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Spying on cement mixers

Spying on cement mixers

Postby TheTortoise » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:57 am

Fionas included on this walk: Meall nan Eun

Date walked: 27/06/2019

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We climbed Meall nan Eun from Kinloch Hourn on a very hot sunny day, following the path past Skiary then angling across steep ground towards the col. Maybe a mistake, I was tired after a previous long day, I don't like the heat or steep ground with small tussocks. It took an unbelievably long time for me to get to the col. After some lunch, I recovered, and got to the top. Skye was laid out before us.
IMG_20190628_110554-640x347.jpg
Skye from summit 1

There was a second top looking the same height. We hadn't studied the book carefully and didn’t remember anything about double summits. Only one thing to do, so on we went. The Hare measured 3 places all the same height! (Back at the van, we discovered that the first summit is 667m, 1m higher than anything else.) On the last 'summit' we noticed a prominent cairn a bit further on. A few more steps. We sat there for a long time admiring the view and watching (with binos) a boat unloading a cement mixer at Fraoch Eilean then loading another one, and a helicopter ferrying building materials.
IMG_20190628_111045-640x319.jpg
Loch Hourn

The Hare wanted to return past the loch in case there were reflections. There weren't, but there was a red throated diver - magical. Another long stop. Add to that a lesser butterfly orchid on the descent, and it was a great day out after all.
TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland