walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A load more Cobblers!

A load more Cobblers!

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:29 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 28/06/2019

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 16.37 km

Ascent: 992m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It had been a long term, but an especially long week. I had some serious cabin fever so when my friend Neil suggested a walk on his way to meet some friends nearby I was definitely up for getting out – I gave him choice of hill and he went for the Cobbler; a fine choice. I’d been up less than 2 weeks previously, but that wasn’t a problem 8)

We parked the other side of the loch (what’s an extra couple of kilometres walking to avoid £9 :shock: )

We applied copious amounts of sunscreen before leaving – it was already scorching :shock:

Looking down Loch Long – the extra few kilometres were actually awesome for views 8)

Reaching the path we headed uphill – although a good path with easy zig zags it was incredibly hot and with no breeze the heat felt oppressive. Mercifully out of the trees we stopped for a breather :crazy:

Neil admiring the view back to Ben Lomond

We continued slowly up the path – at least the gradient had eased for this section up the glen. I took the opportunity to replenish water supplies – there would be nothing up high.

Reaching the Narnain boulders Neil felt the need to test his strength :lol:

I had suggested a circular route of up the front, down the back which is what we went for – heading for the corrie

Last water source :shock:

When I’d been here two weeks ago in the evening the corrie was in shade….this time we were earlier in the day and the sun was assaulting us all the way :shock:

Climbing out onto the wee halfway point we stopped to admire the views…and my phone rang :shock: Although the signal was a bit iffy fortunately it was my (now) boss phoning to offer me the job! Cue shock and relief in equal measure :lol: I was free to enjoy the rest of my day, and certainly won’t forget where I was when I heard :lol:

Neil contemplating having to work with me :shock:

Reaching the coll we decided to visit the true summit first as we’d be returning the other way anyway – looking back the North summit looked busy :shock:

From the summit we could see for miles 8) We went for a wee explore onto the true summit – Neil was perfectly content to sit on the ledge, as was I until I decided to stop being a wuss and get on with it – a few moments of awkward scrambling later I was on the top (minus my hat :lol: )

Back on safer ground we sat down for some food and to enjoy the views out over The Brack (Arran just visible in the distance). Neil also searched through some old photos and was happy to discover his man-points as he had been up the proper top around 20 years ago :lol: 8)

Cruachan in the distance

Beinn an Lochain

The Cobbler

Ben Donich

The Paps of Jura just visible on the horizon

Beinn an Lochain again, with Mull on the skyline

Cruachan again

Eventually it was time to get going before we became toast – the views out to Beinn Luibhean and Beinn Ime as we dropped towards the bealach

We headed up towards the North top – views back to the Cobbler itself were fantastic 8)

Beinn Narnain

Beinn Ime

Loch Long and the Luss Grahams

The short way down :lol:

Beinn an Lochain and the Rest and Be Thankful

Cool light on the rocks

Zoomed to Arran (just)

On the way down we spotted a precariously placed boulder (probably been there for hundreds of years :lol: )

Headed down the back I suggested a trip out to Ben Vane…. :lol:

Or Beinn Ime…. :lol:

Both were vetoed (fortunately, because it was far too hot for either :lol: ) and we continued back down the path home, which gave fabulous views back the way

Back at the loch we were hot and exhausted and fortunately were able to break up the extra few kilometres along the loch with an ice cream stop 8)

Before a hot drive home with all the windows down. Scottish summer – you were grand :lol: 8)

cobbler hot.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: A load more Cobblers!

Postby malky_c » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:31 pm

No photos - it didn’t happen :wink: :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:13 am

[quote="malky_c"]No photos - it didn’t happen :wink: :lol:[/quot

i was thinking exactly the same.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:10 am

malky_c wrote:No photos - it didn’t happen :wink: :lol:

Touche :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland