walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A lot of pylons!

A lot of pylons!

Postby jguerrier » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:27 pm

Route description: Three Lochs Way: Garelochhead to Arrochar / Tarbet

Date walked: 05/07/2019

Time taken: 5.15 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This third part of the Three Lochs started once again on the delightful West Highland line. Although I was confused that the stops appeared to be written in some foreign language.
ImageThree Lochs Way - Garelochhead to Arrochar by John Guerrier, on Flickr
Returning up the wet and boggy path I had come down on the previous section at least the Bog Asphodel looked bright even if the weather was distinctly unpromising.
Back on the Yankee Road this whole section is a must for pylon aficionados!
I have to admit that I found the going distinctly dull for a couple of hours. A Greek tanker unloading was of some interest.
Eventually the military/forestry road is left and the way becomes a bit more gentle. Just before you pass under the railway a sign tells you, in no uncertain terms, to cross the steam at this point. I did as I was told although the bridge further down looked crossable. Climbing up from the valley the path becomes forestry track again. The geology of the cuttings looked rather interesting with some very shiny rock - Mica Schist? and some obvious deformations.
Passing by the piled logs and over the road brings one to the best section as the path climbs high above Loch Long with views over to the Arrochar alps. Unfortunately on this day the views were not so stunning, but good nonetheless.
ImageThree Lochs Way - Garelochhead to Arrochar by John Guerrier, on Flick
There are some quite steep ups and downs on this part which get quite tiring. I passed by the tempting waysign to Arrochar, but elected to push on to Tarbet where I thought I might make the 2.06 train. However the path takes a rather indirect route which is pleasant but not speedy. However finally getting to the main road there was a bus stop directly opposite with a bus back to Glasgow due in half an hour.
jguerrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:110   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland