walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Peanmeanach

Peanmeanach

Postby Yorjick » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:58 am

Route description: Peanmeanach village and beach

Date walked: 26/06/2019

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 401m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The walk to the deserted village of Peanmeanach is very popular, but relatively few stay at the bothy. The start of the path is clearly marked.

IMGP9489.jpg

I could hear what sounded like a steam train and a Belgian lady who retraced her steps back down the path confirmed that it was the "Hogwarts Express".

There must have been a good track out to Peanmeanach at one time for them to have built a bridge like this. Today, only two-wheeled vehicles could reach the bridge in the first place.

IMGP9365.jpg

The walking was delightful from the start. After 5 months overseas I was not finding a large pack with wood and coal very easy, so photo stops and rests taken while talking to people were frequent. I tried talking in French to one (Belgian?) man, but Russian words kept on coming out. French was my best subject at school and I have a Grade A O-level, but now my knowledge of French has been displaced by Russian!

IMGP9370.jpg

I had seen this view while researching the route and was looking forward to photographing it. Three memorable Corbetts: An Stac, Sgurr na Ba Glaise and Rois-Bheinn, all done from Essan about 20 years ago!

IMGP9402.jpg

20190705_083928_567_81_157_143_52_0001.jpg

The continuation along the path to Peanmeanach involves a nice, gentle descent. The weather could not have been finer!

IMGP9411.jpg

The inside of the bothy was clean and everything seemed to be in order. There was even a good supply of wood, much of which was to later be used by two campers down by the shoreline. Much of the wood looked like sawn-off branches rather than driftwood or fallen branches but perhaps it had been sawn off a dead tree?

​Inside was an ornamental giant necklace of vertebrae, presumably from some smaller species of whale.

IMGP9415.jpg

IMGP9421.jpg

A group of four kayakers took the right hand room with the bunks and I took the left hand room. I created a sleeping platform by pushing three benches together into a T shape giving plenty of width and length.

​Although it was warm, I wanted to enjoy the full bothy experience and burnt at least half of the wood and coal that I had carried in.

IMGP9424.jpg

I pottered about and was really trying to find a good point from which to see the sun set. Here looking south-east across Loch Ailort towards Rois-Bheinn.

IMGP9457.jpg

Not quite the sunset I was hoping for as the sun disappear behind a hillside. A little bit of broken cloud may have helped and perhaps I should have raced across to the other side of the bay to have obtained a better photograph?

IMGP9460.jpg

I slept well but was up and about before five the next morning.

IMGP9465.jpg

IMGP9467.jpg

With a lighter pack, I was back at the car and in Mallaig at about 0900 - plenty of time to buy a ferry ticket and sort out my kit for a knoydart adventure!

IMGP9486.jpg
Looking over to Eigg and Rhum
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland