walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moruisg via Glenuaig

Moruisg via Glenuaig

Postby Driftwood » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:29 am

Route description: Moruisg and Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean

Munros included on this walk: Moruisg

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean

Date walked: 18/06/2019

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 22.6 km

Ascent: 1380m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 1 of my summer trip to the Highlands.

Walking in from Achnashellach station (train from Inverness, after an overnight stop), I used the forest track for some way, then had to slog alongside the A890 for what felt quite a distance. There was the option of verges, but those were wet, and grassy, enough that I tended to use the tarmac and only step up when, frequently, traffic approached from either direction.

I was glad to reach Gerry's Hostel, not because I was stopping, but it meant the track and railway crossing were close at hand. It helped that the weather looked like brightening at that point, even if that turned out a false hope.

Tracks to approach made for straightforward walking, despite the wet and windy weather. Though they're less attractive to the eye, and I passed some quarrying going on, presumably for more track building or related work, within the forestry areas above Glen Carron. I paused in a quieter area, above this, to lighten my load by a large portion of pasta for lunch. Though that didn't seem to reduce the weight of my pack by any noticeable amount.

DSCF9906.jpg
Approaching Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

Having left the noise and activity behind, wind and water were the main forces at work, though the track carried on, and offered the easiest option of making progress into the hills.

DSCF9910.jpg
Wet track beside Allt a' Chonais

Once into the hills, I saw only 2 more people for the day. One, a driver on the Glenuaig track (who stopped, and asked which direction I was going in. A moment of temptation when I could have said "down the glen" and hoped for a lift back to Gerry's Hostel). The second was heading along the ridge towards Moruisg, soon after I'd left the zig-zag path up from Glenuaig.

I left my heavier gear at the Glenuaig shelter, as well as taking a break in case the weather cleared (it didn't). Then, it was off to walk these two hills north of the glen, using a grassy but well-made path climbing the southern slopes of the 874 metre top. That made for fair progress, despite the wet and claggy conditions, at least until it gave way to some really squelchy gentle slopes around the top of Coire a' Chlaiginn. There was more ascent on the far side, where scattered stones didn't make for much drier footing.

Morusig lived up to its boggy reputation - though anywhere would have been damp in that cloudy, showery weather. And at least I wasn't missing out too much on views.

DSCF9930.jpg
Moruisg from Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

The cloud hinted at lifting while I crossed the bealach, though didn't give an actual view from either summit. That contributed to my opting to retrace my steps partly, then descend into the shallow corrie, and down the wet but gentle slopes below. Those did offer plenty of interesting plants.

DSCF9940.jpg
Common Cow-wheat

And views of tomorrow's target, which would also prove elusive when I was actually walking over it.

DSCF9941.jpg
Maoile Lunndaidh

Conditions did brighten a little for my descent, but the ground was soaked, so I decided to spend a night in the tiny refuge - which was actually quite cosy, if you don't intend on swinging any cats around.
That avoided any headaches about finding somewhere to pitch the tent where it wouldn't have sunk into a mess of wet peat during the night.

DSCF9943.jpg
Glenuaig Shelter

I wasn't sure whether to be reassured, or concerned, by the cables aiming to prevent the shelter being blown away by strong winds. There were also some concrete blocks, and bricks, inside to act as ballast. And I was reminded of a story about a previous shelter being struck by a storm at some point. But the weather was windy, rather tempestuous,so it offered a solution to staying warm and dry, at least for the night.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland