walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis via CMD Arete

Ben Nevis via CMD Arete

Postby kabu1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:34 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 06/07/2019

Time taken: 9.25 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1600m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What an amazing day. Did this walk with Stephen Fallon's outfit led by John ML and Mountain Rescue volunteer. Also on the walk Laura (mountain goat); Steve and Jamie. All of us much the same in ability, I was probably least experienced on rock. Set off around 8.30 am having stayed overnight in Glen Nevis YH. Weather was very good - some good views on the way up CMD; cloud settling in around 13.00 on Ben Nevis but never any wind to speak of and not too cold either. After lunch on CMD we could see the arete - it looked pretty scary but I never found the exposure a problem and mostly it was a rocky clamber with a couple of awkward moves. I hadn't hurt my ribs 3 weeks previously it would have been easier but I was pleased with how I coped. The boulder field to Ben Nevis summit is a real sting in the tail & then you are suddenly there with the crowds. Surreal. Pics taken and then we were off across the boulders and onto the pony track descent to the Mid-way Lochan. After a brief stop at the the Lochan - away from the crowds my left knee started complaining but I mostly kept up and then only had a bit of a panic when crossing the burn at the bottom - John and Steve pulled me to safety from the last boulder! then it was just a bit of a slog back to the cars and home via Costa (for coffee and change) and Real Food Cafe in Tyndrum for Cullen Skink.
kabu1
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:14
Fionas:9   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland