walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Chabhair

Beinn Chabhair

Postby Johnoneill1916 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:04 pm

Route description: Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 08/07/2019

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 918m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Once again had great weather for a wee hill walk. Parked the car in at the Drovers and headed off with the dog. Crossed the bridge and entered the field to the left following the path round the side of the river to the edge of the campsite. From here I accidentally turned onto the West Highland way for a couple of hundred yards as to get to the stile in the walk description I used you actually have to go onto the grass behind the log cabins. In all honesty if I was doing this again I would walk up the campsite road and up the right hand side of the Beinn Glass pub beer garden then round behind the cabins to pick up the path. This way is actually less intrusive to the campsite :D The first section up past Beinn Glas falls is probably the hardest part of the whole day :shock: But you are quickly blessed with stunning views.

001.jpg

Beinn Glas Falls

After this first section the walk becomes much flatter for the next mile or so although a little boggy at parts. Follow the path up the left had side of Ben Glas burn and just as the Lochan comes head over about 10 O'clock toward the faint path you can see heading up the gully. About 80% of the way up I stopped for a wee coffee break as the views were stunning.

003.jpg

Nice spot for a coffee :D

For here on in the climb was pretty constant but not to steep for the most of it all the way up to the summit. Pretty much had the hill to myself the whole way up other that one boy at the summit. The views from the top were spectacular to say the least. Also had a wee recce of An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin for my next walk.

006 (2).jpg

Wee Pose at the top

010 (1).jpg

Ones for next week?

Headed straight down the same way I came up passing about 20 or so people on the way up. Another great day in the Scottish hills and looking forward to my next one! 8)
Last edited by Johnoneill1916 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnoneill1916
Bird-watcher

Munros:11   Corbetts:4
Fionas:5   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:17   
Islands:7

Re: Beinn Cabhair

Postby katyhills » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:50 pm

Looked like you had a grand day. Nothing wrong with a 'wee pose' at the top either :wink:
The first part up the waterfall is definitely the worst bit. Like so many hills, the hardest work is often the early part of the walk.

Enjoy Caisteal and Chroin - I love Caisteal. Was up there again about a month ago, and the ascent up to Twistin Hill was a bit squelchy, but the ridge more than makes up for that. The views across to Ben More and Stob Binnein, and further afield to Tyndrum, are terrific too :D
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Johnoneill1916 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:06 pm

Thanks :D I think I will go that same route. Ended up at Narnain and Ime instead taking advantage of an early start before it go busy with people doing the Cobbler :lol:
Johnoneill1916
Bird-watcher

Postby Christo1979 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:20 pm

Looks like a grand walk! Looking to head back up this way to finish the Crianlarich Munros soon :)
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

Postby Johnoneill1916 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:35 am

Christo1979 wrote:Looks like a grand walk! Looking to head back up this way to finish the Crianlarich Munros soon :)

Thanks, Best day of the year so far for it :D Hopefully you get as good a day to finish them. I'm hoping to get round the others by the year end :D
Johnoneill1916
Bird-watcher

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland