walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My second Munro Stob Dubh

My second Munro Stob Dubh

Postby CN51NKY » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:49 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 07/07/2019

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 958m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Completed on Sunday 7/7/19 This was the starting challenge for my son Jason's stag weekend and only my second Munro.
I don't like talking about myself so lets just say i started walking seriously last year after medical problems were diagnosed.
I began doing small hills sub 2000s cpl Corbetts etc and a few weeks ago did my first Munro.
So here goes number two.....The ascent to the bealach was gradually stepped and pretty straightforward although it did steepen quite a bit.
Once we reached the bealach we had Jason change into his Mr Motivator costume so we could get some photos at the summit.
We decided to head for my nemisis Stob Dubh first, i had been apprehensive for weeks about the narrow ridge in two or three spots i had seen on YouTube.
The banter with the young team took my mind off it though as we ascended the middle unnamed peak of 905m which was i thought a Munro over 3000ft but apparently not for some reason. We soldiered on with Stob Dubh finally coming into view, "what an intimidating sight."
As we got closer my mind was only focused on that thin ridge and i was getting serious cold feet, so much so i stopped and said ,"ok guys that's enough for me I'll wait here till you come back." Jason and one of the guys came back and told me under no circumstances im coming this far without hitting the summit so with one either side of me we walked the ridge and did the final wee scrambly bit to the cairn.
Man it felt good and i thanked them for pushing me the last 50m, the views were amazing , after a wee peice and a coffee we headed back to the bealach where the others went for the second Munro Stob Coire Riannich and I had a leasurely descent back to the car.
CN51NKY
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: My second Munro Stob Dubh

Postby SummitStupid » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:31 pm

These were my first two munros, and in another odd coincidence my hillwalking began in earnest after I got the all-clear from a nearly terminal illness. Will you continue to climb in Scotland?
SummitStupid
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:23
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:109
Wainwrights:84   Islands:10

Re: My second Munro Stob Dubh

Postby CN51NKY » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:33 am

@summitstupid I will climb the rest of the Munro's within reason leaving out the scrambling ridges Aonach Eagach etc , I would love to do the big Buachaille at some point.
CN51NKY
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland