walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Mhor, Cairngorm corbett, there and back route

Creag Mhor, Cairngorm corbett, there and back route

Postby gld73 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:00 pm

Route description: Creag Mhor and Loch Avon, from Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag Mhor

Date walked: 13/07/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 880m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Nice to get out for a walk after a few days of heavy rain. Just a bit cloudy and showery today, nothing bad. Parked near Glenmore Lodge and followed the track to the Green Lochan, and then the right turn signed to Braemar, so more or less the same route as for Bynack More, I just had a different start point.

When the track forked, right for Bynack More, I headed straight on, hadn't been on that stretch before. The heavy rain meant the path was pretty boggy even though it was a good clear path. The stepping stones to cross the Uisge Dubh Poll a'Choin were well and truly submerged by the high water, so I rolled up my trousers, took off my boots and socks and waded across, no hassle to do given the clear water and shale stream bed making it straight forward. The next burn still had the tops of the stepping stones just about above the water, so got across that fine, then along the path a bit more (roughly the 300m advised by WH) before heading up the slope to the left. Very boggy in the bottom half, but stonier and drier further up, didn't feel like a corbett with the short 15min or so actual ascent from the path. Headed over to the tor and it was an easy walk up to the top to get the summit. First couple of photos I took were cloudy, but the then the cloud base lifted and I got better views of the neighbouring munros other than Beinn a' Bhuird which stayed covered.
APDC5677.JPG
Beinn a'Chaorainn, Derry Cairngorm and Beinn Mheadhoin

APDC5673.JPG
Not much of Beinn a' Bhuird visible from the Creag Mhor summit

Headed back the same way rather than do the circular route by Loch Avon, I'll head there another time I suspect.
Corbett #37

Overall, a nice straightforward walk for quite a remote corbett (with this there & back route anyway).
gld73

Munros:123   Corbetts:50
Grahams:38   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:58   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:35   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland