walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane from Butterbridge (and Ben Ime)

Ben Vane from Butterbridge (and Ben Ime)

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:11 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Ben Vane

Date walked: 21/06/2019

Time taken: 1550 hours

Distance: 13 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So why would anyone in their right mind climb Ben Vane from Butterbridge, you may be wondering. It crossed our minds also, being sensible types who avoid as much up and down as possible.
This was not our original plan, I hasten to add!
on Thursday 20th we had spent a fruitful day bog-trotting and looking at Scotlands Favourite View on the Fersit Munros, then hot-footing it down the A82 to Tyndrum to the Real Food Café for tea, and thence to Inveruglas. The plan was to walk in from there and camp at a nice little place we know of near Coiregrogan at the foot of Ben Vane. From there we would walk up the glen to the Bealach a'Mhaim and Ben Ime and thence to Ben Vane and back to the tent. These were the two Arrochar Alps we had not yet climbed after bailing in may 2016 because of horrible weather and illness. We'd then have a nice drive to the Travelodge at Dumbarton for a clean-up and rest before picking our friend from Germany up from Glasgow airport for a week in Islay.
Mostly it went according to plan. But not entirely. However a successful day was had.
We expected to pay to park at Inveruglas. What we didn't expect was not being allowed to leave the car overnight. There was a sign up that gave the web address to get a permit for a motorhome or camper, so we thought perhaps we could pretend the car was a motorhome and buy a permit. Although there was masses of space, the website told us there was no availability and to come back on Monday. On the same page it suggested that we might find it nice to go well away from the Lochside and wild camp somewhere. Just exactly how are we expected to do that if we cannot leave the car anywhere? We left the car park and had a look up and down a mile or so to see if there were any other possible parking places. Nothing. Zilch, Nada, etc etc. We considered just leaving the car and risking it, but thought this might be unwise and expensive, risk being clamped and missing the Islay ferry - not a good thought. The midges were bad and we were getting very frustrated and grumpy and the night was starting to draw in.
In the end we decided to go and camp at Butterbridge and decide in the morning how to tackle the hills and which ones to go for. Fortunately there was nobody else there and we camped just beside the old bridge getting the tent up quickly because of the midges and pretty much going straight to bed.
P6213246.jpg
Butterbridge, looking up to Ben Ime, in the morning

In the morning it was still and the cloud was down. We heard voices outside the tent. Rudolph stuck his head out to be greeted by the Police! They were looking for someone who had been reported walking down the A83 in a state of inebriation and nearly been run over by a timber lorry. We were pleased they had not come to arrest us, but were unable to help with their search.
Shortly after that, as we were eating our breakfast (walking around a bit to avoid the midges) we chatted to three lads who were setting off on a recce of Ben Ime from this side for a charity walk. Sorry chaps, I had read that you go up the forestry track and generously passed on this advice, it was not the best route! Presumably you found that out for yourselves!
We set off with the tops firmly in cloud, but it looked like it could clear up and there were patches of blue sky here and there. We decided we would climb to the Glas Bhealach at 750m and at that point would decide which hill to climb first. We set off on the track through the forestry which was lovely at first but then degenerated into bog, felled trees and midges. After all the rain of the last few days we took some care finding a crossing point for the burn. We passed the ruins of an old sheiling. Lovely place to live in fine weather but it must have been a really hard life carrying your stuff and your children up there in the olden days.
P6213254.jpg
Bein Luibhean in cloud

P6213258.jpg
lovely green corrie

P6213259.jpg
remains of sheiling

P6213261.jpg
Looking down Glen Kinglas to Loch Fyne

P6213263.jpg
mist starting to roll away - and back - and away

When we reached the bealach, it was starting to turn into a lovely day, but the top of Ben Ime remaining firmly in cloud we decided to tackle Ben Vane first.
P6213267.jpg
reaching the bealach - Ben Vane on the left, Loch Lomond just peeping out

It has been reported that this is very rough ground between these two hills. We had a good view of the terrain and although there were rocks and steepness, it was possible to see that the whole route could be done on grass and to be honest it did not look nearly as bad as we had expected. To be fair, it is steep and the bealach is pretty low at about 490metres, but you just have to think about it as two separate hills, or divide it up into chunks and count them off.
P6213274.jpg
it doesn't look so bad - this picture from halfway down the other side of Glas Bhealach

We could see a couple of rocky outcrops below us and headed to the left of these to avoid a gorge, then descended steep grass to the bealach. From there we set off uphill on a rising traverse to the left (north easterly direction) until we crossed the burn at about 600metres, where we clocked a picnic spot for a brew on the way back down. From here we just picked the easiest line uphill until we reached the summit.
P6213275.jpg
Looking back the way we came, Ben Ime still in cloud

P6213281.jpg
there is hope, Ben Ime nearly not in cloud

P6213285.jpg
Cobbler now visible with Beinn Narnain on the left and Ime on the right

P6213288.jpg
Summit at last, and a lovely view down to Inveruglas with lochs Katrine and Arklet behind Loch Lomond, and Ben Lomond on the right

P6213290.jpg
Rudolph with Ben Ime behind

P6213292.jpg
and me with Ben Vorlich behind

P6213293.jpg
There's a wee lochan on the top and two cairns, we went to them both just to be sure but we think the Eastern one was the top. Some weather to the west, not a place to hang about

It was beautiful on the top but cold, so we didn't hang about, but set off back downhill roughly the way we had come, stopping for a brew at the wee waterfall we had clocked on the way up, where it was just a little bit steep to sit comfortably but the brew was welcome all the same.
P6213294.jpg
Looking down the long Northern ridge of Ben Vane. Some weather hiding the top of Beinn Bhuidhe

P6213295.jpg
Brew time. Happy mugs to match the beautiful lichen

Once back at the bealach at 490m we had to climb back up that long grassy slope which did go on a bit! but included the excitement of Rudolph putting his foot down a hole between two boulders. Fortunately no harm was done but it was a reminder to be careful on this bouldery terrain where sometimes the grass can give an illusion of terra firma!
P6213299.jpg
Rudolph down a hole!

When we reached the Glas Bealach we were tired after all this steepness and three nights of camping and weather, and briefly considered leaving Ben Ime for another day - but only briefly, despite the prospect of 940m straight down! So continuing uphill we were delighted to find the top at last was in sunshine and the wind had dropped enough for us to sit and drink it all in for a while.
P6213302.jpg
Looking back to Ben Vane from the slopes of Ben Ime, we had the best of the day over there I think

P6213303.jpg
and down Glen Kinglas, looks better in the west.

P6213306.jpg
Rudolph on Ben Ime contemplating the day and the view East

P6213308.jpg
and me with the view to the south west behind. Paps of Jura just visible in real life but not on the photo

P6213309.jpg
Ben Lomond in the distance

P6213310.jpg
and towards the Cobbler, Ben Narnain and beyond

The descent was as expected pretty brutal but this time we came down the side of the burn where there is a path. Boggy in places but I think it was better than thrashing through the forest.
Back at the car we were pleased to have added seven more munros to our tally for these three days.

Track_21-JUN-19 175826.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Ben Vane from Butterbridge (and Ben Ime)

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:56 pm

Nice one - you did well with the weather, surfing it beautifully!

I bet you were secretly a bit disappointed that Rudolph's leg disappearance didn't turn into your own 127 Hours :lol:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:11 pm

Alteknacker wrote:I bet you were secretly a bit disappointed that Rudolph's leg disappearance didn't turn into your own 127 Hours :lol:

ha ha better his leg than mine! or is that a bit harsh? I once went thigh deep into a bog with just one leg - the bog was literally six inches across with solid ground all the way round. I was with the entire extended family and how they laughed!!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:08 pm

Met your double on Blencathra yesterday but the husband was wrong! :lol: Partly thanks to your recommendation Moira and I had perfect post hill fish n chips at Real Food Cafe a few weeks back - so thanks for that. :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Raynor » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:40 pm

I think nearly all of the car parks will say no overnight parking. I very much doubt anyone bothers to enforce it. I often set off at 3/4am in the summer so who is to say what is overnight parking or just getting an early start.
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:26 pm

dogplodder wrote:Met your double on Blencathra yesterday but the husband was wrong! :lol: Partly thanks to your recommendation Moira and I had perfect post hill fish n chips at Real Food Cafe a few weeks back - so thanks for that. :clap:

My goodness I have a double!!
hope you enjoyed your F&C! I always have soup and chips and himself has haggis and chips.
Raynor wrote:I think nearly all of the car parks will say no overnight parking. I very much doubt anyone bothers to enforce it. I often set off at 3/4am in the summer so who is to say what is overnight parking or just getting an early start.

We weren't so much worried about the overnight bit it was leaving the car in the morning with no ticket. They lock the gate at night and open it in the morning so someone would be bound to notice.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby aaquater » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:01 pm

Isn't it nice when the weather starts clearing in front of you? :D When I read 'Ben Vane from Butterbridge', my mind immediately went to a northern approach via Gleann Uaine; wonder if that would give easier going. Thanks for the info; I'll be wary of open-ended forestry tracks from now on! :D
aaquater

Munros:74   Corbetts:37
Fionas:40   Donalds:23+12
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:18

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:00 pm

Not the worst way to cllimb this pair considering it may cost you £9 for the parking in Arrochar.Not many left now and I am only 7 in front of you with 1 or 2 we both still have to climb. :D :D
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland