walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fungle Road - Aboyne to Tarfside

Fungle Road - Aboyne to Tarfside

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:12 pm

Date walked: 09/01/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 790m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had one of the most memorable days in my hill walking experience. Joined a club which, after not disgracing myself, are happy enough for me to go back!!! My pal from work wanted to come along too so I picked her up at 7am and headed on up to the meeting place, The Sauchieburn Hotel, Luthermuir for 8am.

Got there a bit early so had a swift cuppa while we waited. The hill walking club has a bus that picked us all up (11 of us) and we drove on up to Aboyne. Sometimes the club does The Fungle Road from Tarfside, ending up in Aboyne but I was told it was all weather dependant.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was perishing in Aboyne but everyone was in good spirits for the long walk. Started off at 524 977 and followed the path upwards and through the trees along the water. Had a bit of difficulty with my hands with it being so cold, even with the 2 pairs of gloves, but once below heart level (poles too long) and much shaking and cursing, the circulation returned!!

The snow was deep in places and the path got a bit slippery at times but after putting on the micro spikes, I was okay.

We walked for about 30 minutes through the trees in a light snow shower and emerged out onto a path which opened up towards the hills. The path was excellent and dare I say, bike-able once the snow is clear??

After a while, a bothy appeared. (Think it may be for stalkers only - not sure)

The path bends in a big loop up towards the bothy, everyone was miles ahead.

Here, we stopped for our lunch. We had been walking about 2 hours and I was starving. I had a view of what I think was Carnferg with a monument at the top and, after taking this picture, we could just make out some people at the top. We didn’t hang around as the wind was picking up and really beginning to bite.

Ascent was mostly flattish for the first part

Sign posts (Quite a few of them along the route)

The Fungle comes out near a castle. It used to run through the grounds of Birse castle, but this was stopped and the path diverted in recent times.

The fence is meant to keep out ruffians such as us!

Castle

The path disappeared in the snow and the ground on the other side would have been boggy if it wasn’t frozen.

Looking back towards the castle (just make out the path on the right of the picture)

The sun was turning bright now, so the shades came out the bag. The path was easily distinguishable and ran along the sides of the hills here.

Short ascent up the side

Looking back on the path we had travelled

Stopped for a few minutes (tablet fuel stop) before the last short gentle climb. The sun had disappeared behind some clouds as we approached an electric fence.

At this point, we had 6 km left to walk; I was still a short way behind, taking pictures.

Heading down towards Tarfside

The sun was getting low now, still had about an hour’s walking to do.

Wester Cairn and Mount Battock

Hill in the distance with a spikey monument atop.

Looking back on the excellent path that was The Fungle...

Arrived back at Tarfside to the very welcomed sight of the club’s bus and after a short ride back to the Sauchieburn Hotel for the club’s High Tea, we ate a humongous meal of home cooked fish and chips, scones and jam. It was such a fantastic walk with a great bunch of people. My pal enjoyed herself, she had never done a hill walk in her life so did extremely well, enjoying every minute of it. She’s great company with the sense of humour that leaves you gasping with laughter, turning you blue when trying to climb a hill.

Looking forward to the next walk, something tells me it’s going to be a blast!
Last edited by Merry-walker on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Fungle Road - Aboyne to Tarfside

Postby Wanderlust » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm glad that it turned out nice for your walk. I like the sunset pics :)
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:33 pm

I think I saw that same hill with the spikey monument last Friday from Loch Lee. :)

Nice report with some great photos.
foggieclimber

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:11 pm

I love days like this in winter 8) . There's something undefinably satisfying about a through route where the journey itself is the objective rather than a specific goal. Looks like you had a good day for it as well :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Alastair S » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Looks like you had a excellent day. Done a little bit of the Fungle Road around the Forest of Birse, but not a walk-through. And your friend did well if they haven't done much walking - 19km is snow isn't to be sniffed at. BTW which club did you join?

foggieclimber wrote:I think I saw that same hill with the spikey monument last Friday from Loch Lee. :)

I think this must the Maule Monument on the Hill of Rowan. Only been up Glen Esk a few times but every time I think must do this walk - details (as ever) on this site over here: Hill of Rowan, Tarfside, Glen Esk
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Stretch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:27 pm

Really pretty shots MW, I can't wait to get back and put my snow gear to good use.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:28 pm

Really enjoyed this - as Leithy says, a through route is great if you can organise it :)
You go through some fairly remote territory there too - away from the usual places us baggers seem to end up! Nice sunset at the end too.

Your comment about high tea reminds me of some 1920's adverts on the wall of the Pheonix Bar in Dundee. Advertising coach trips up Glen Esk with a stop off for high tea, all for a rather small amount of shillings and pence 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:38 pm

Thanks everyone :D I joined the Forfar and District Hill Walkers club. A really friendly and brill bunch. They have a web site and I can't wait to go to the next walks coming up, especially the weekend meets. I'll still do some walking on my own (thinking of something tomorrow but can't make up my mind on where I fancy). It'll be local-ish though. :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:19 am

malky_c wrote:Really enjoyed this - as Leithy says, a through route is great if you can organise it :)
You go through some fairly remote territory there too - away from the usual places us baggers seem to end up! Nice sunset at the end too.

Your comment about high tea reminds me of some 1920's adverts on the wall of the Pheonix Bar in Dundee. Advertising coach trips up Glen Esk with a stop off for high tea, all for a rather small amount of shillings and pence 8)

And the tour runs even yet :) altho it costs a little more these days :o http://www.thegreateskape.com/
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:48 am

Lovely stuff MW and the late afternoon sun colours are brilliant :D
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby chrisoff » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:02 pm

Niiiice sunset and looks like a lovely walk. Might have to add it to the list :D I've been up Glen Esk before, but just wandered around with my girlfriend's family dog for a bit. That looks like a fine route to do some spring day in good weather.
chrisoff
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby baggervance » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi MW

Nice report ~ smashing colours in the sunset pics.

Out of interest
How are you loading up your photies. I just did a recent report and it restricted me to 25 but you have gone beyond this and the framing is different??

cheers

BV
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:48 pm

BV, I use Flickr :)

Thanks everyone for the kind comments regarding the pictures.

This walk was brilliant, one which I very much want to do again in the better weather :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby magicdin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Nice crisp photos MW - what sort of camera do you have ?
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Technika camera from Tesco, £30. Very basic I know.... :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland