walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Finding our legs in pastures new!

Finding our legs in pastures new!

Postby johnscot55 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:03 pm

Route description: A' Mharconaich and Geal Chàrn, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter)

Date walked: 16/07/2019

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Distance: 7.25 km

Ascent: 731m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's school holidays again and it was time for my grandson Matthew and me to get back out onto the hills. He had not been out since doing a couple of walks in springtime and I had just returned from a week lazing about in the Algarve with my wife, during which, at no time, would I have probably been classed as 100% sober :lol:. And along with the food, bags of Lay's crisps, nuts etc that we scoffed, I was feeling decidedly sluggish.
So I looked around to find a climb that was not to ambitious, that neither of us had done, but was still within reasonable driving distance.This is getting harder to do!
I settled on a couple of hills at Drumochter, Geal Charn and A'Mharconaich, and although it meant driving up the A9 (not my favourite road, especially with all the roadworks at the Perth end) it would lead us into new territory as most of the walks I had done (apart from Schiehallion, Vrackie and Chonzie were in the southern west highlands). Now I know these hills won't be on anyone's favourite list, but they fitted the bill for us on the day.
The weather was great when we set off around 9.15am and I was anticipating a glorious time above the A9. Most of the weight from the rucksacks came from food and fluids.
drumochter (1).jpg
Setting off with the targets behind.

Despite being a simple to navigate walk (in good weather), we managed to make a mistake almost immediately by taking the first of the right forks and found ourselves headed for Creagan Mor, but this was quickly realised and we hopped over a small stream and went sideways till we picked up the correct path. And judging by the flattened grass between our erroneous position and regaining the correct path, we were not the first to do this :) .
There was then a steady climb to the cairns that are visible from the roadside.
drumochter (2).jpg
Wild life on the path.
These, however are not the summit, which was set a further kilometre back from the road.
drumochter (3).jpg
Between the cairns of Geal Charn.
From the summit of Geal Charn there was excellent views, especially to the east, with Ben Alder being prominent, overlooking Loch Ericht (a Loch I had never seen before).
drumochter (7).jpg
Ben Alder and Loch Ericht.
drumochter (4).jpg
Matthew, summit Geal Charn.
drumochter (6).jpg
Me, summit Geal Charn.
The other Geal Charn still had a pocket of snow on it.
drumochter (18).jpg
Other Geal Charn with a pocket of snow.
It was good to get views of a different set of hills and lochs from which I (and Matthew) was used to.
drumochter (5).jpg
View towards Cairgorms.
drumochter (9).jpg
Ben Alder Lodge below.

After a food and drink break, during which we were pestered by flies, some pics were taken and we eyed up the next target, A'Mharconaich.
drumochter (8).jpg
Eyeing the next target.
We dropped down into the bealach between the hills, stayed on a track for a number of metres before cutting onto an obvious path that ascends to the plateau of A'M. Once reached, it was easy to see the route south west that could have taken us to Beinn Udlamain, but although tempted, I stuck to the route agreed with Matthew, and we headed north east along the plateau to the summit of A'Mharconaich.
drumochter (10).jpg
Looking back at Geal Charn from A'Mharconaich plateau.
Objectives done, and Munros 13 and 14 for Matthew.
drumochter (11).jpg
Matthew, summit of A'Mharconaich.
drumochter (12).jpg
Me, summit of A'Mharconaich.
drumochter (13).jpg
Food and drink break.
drumochter (15).jpg
Summit selfie, A'Mharconaich.
Another fly infested food and drink break, and a conversation with one of only three people who we came directly in contact with, more pics and we began the descent down the front prows of A'M.
drumochter (16).jpg
Begin the descent.
drumochter (17).jpg
On the way down, looking down on the A9.
The lower sections of the descent were quite rough and boggy and it may be better heading for a small bridge that can be spotted crossing the stream a bit above the carpark, as following the rough path will mean fording the stream near the railway line. By the way, why is it illegal to cross the railway line when heading to Ben Lui from the A85, but not here?
Anyway, we were at the carpark around 3.30pm, and we certainly hadn't rushed, not that I am capable of rushing anyway :lol:. The weather had been glorious, and although not the most exciting of hills they had given us both exactly what we had needed after a spell of inactivity and overindulgence :).
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Finding our legs in pastures new!

Postby johnscot55 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Brain freeze! Should have said south west and not east when writing about Ben Alder. I did manage to find the summits, honest!
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland