walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie

Ben Chonzie

Postby CN51NKY » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:12 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 16/07/2019

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 931m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fired up Ben Chonzie this morning for my 3rd Munro my 2nd in 9 days which is an achievement for me, it was reasonably easy apart from the last bit of steep track, also got a bit confused as to which cairn was the summit ....i think theres about 10 but once you see the real summit cairn you know thats the one.... Another thing i noticed the amount of people with no map or compass or shady printouts from the internet, these would have found it a bit tricky when looking for the real summit.
All in all a very enjoyable wee hill.
CN51NKY
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Ben Chonzie

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:20 pm

Well done you - we went up Ben Chonzie on a misty wet day and rescued two girls from Edinburgh who had got lost. Doesn't do to underestimate the hills! But it felt good to be the heroes of the day.
mrssanta
Munro compleatist

Munros:245   Corbetts:10
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:40   Islands:8

Postby CN51NKY » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:17 am

@mrssanta thanks for your support and today there was one lady and her teenage son navigating with a photo printout and directions from internet , i didn't hold much hope for her, also two women with no map/compass trying to follow three men in the distance whom i advised to follow the old fence posts that led the way to the summit but who knows how long they were wandering about.
A very nice Dutch woman stopped me and asked for directions as well.
CN51NKY
Mountaineer

Postby johnscot55 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:12 pm

I would say try and not to too critical of others walkers. While, yes, some are ill prepared, many climbs, especially in decent weather can be very successfully done with intelligent use of "SHADY" printouts from the internet, a resource THIS very website helpfully provides. Also not everyone will be walking around with map and compass in hand. Could be in rucksack or jacket pocket for use when necessary.
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby CN51NKY » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:34 am

@johnscott55 mearly an observation certainly not critical....after having be well prepared saves lives drummed into me when i started i have had my eyes opened , further more I would be the first to help anyone in a fix or lost so where you get the idea im being critical idk.
I wonder why THIS website takes no responsibility for the directions given for SHADY printouts.?
I also wonder why THIS website warns you of the dangers of walking in the hills without a map and compass.?
Mearly an observation and certainly not critical.
CN51NKY
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland