walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My last Etive Corbett

My last Etive Corbett

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:56 pm

Route description: Beinn Trilleachan, Glen Etive

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Trilleachan

Date walked: 27/07/2019

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 1000m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Note Photos from two occasions
I've really enjoyed all the four Etive Corbetts. They are big, steep, exciting and with great views: you start directly from the road at a low altitude and they feel much more like Munros. So it was with a tinge of sadness that I set out in late May 2017 to do the last - Beinn Trilleachan. But the weather was red hot, and expecting some en route, I took only a litre of water. But I found not even a trickle :( and by the time I reached the sub-summit my bottle was empty, I was already very thirsty and It seemed foolhardy to go on :(
But forewarned is forearmed, so on this occasion - in perfect but again very hot weather - I took nearly 2 litres which proved only just enough. This close to the West coast, the vegetation low on the hill is luxuriant - to say the least - and the lovely aroma of the bog myrtle permeated the atmosphere :D . I followed the "patchy" path beside the wood through knee deep grass and continued on it for a while after it broke away to the L.
4100.JPG
The start - Cruachan - down Loch Etive - looking majestic
4101.JPG
The path veers off L up and across the hillside
4102.jpg
From a bit higher. I am always intrigued by the perfect parabola between the Buchailles at the head of the Lairig Gartain: A parabola is of the form y= some function of x squared so I take this to indicate that the erosive power of ice is proportional to the square of its depth - but maybe that's just simplistic :lol: :lol:
4285.jpg
In theory you ascend the SE ridge, but the only description of the terrain I can think of is "amorphous" - you just plod on up the steep slope :lol: Looking back from higher still - The huge bulk of Stob Dubh fills the R of the picture
4286.JPG
Eventually the angle eases - but it's still quite a way to the sub-summit
At this point on my first attempt, an eagle flew alongside the loch beneath me. from above you see the wonderful golden colour that gives it its name. It turned across the loch, climbed steeply and came back right over my head. I quickly grabbed the camera and blasted away - a bracket of three each time. unfortunately in "idiot automatic" the focus is set for depth rather than pinpoint accuracy, and I didn't have time to adjust it, so the pics are not sharp. I was still quite pleased - at least you can see what it is :) - but compared to other Walk-Highlander's eagles it pales into mediocrity :lol: .
4287.jpg
Across the loch
4288.jpg
Behind me and above my head
4293.jpg

4294.JPG
Eventually I reached the point where both summits come into view and it's not far to the sub-summit :D

Views from the sub-summit
4295.jpg
The cairn looking West - Creach Bheinn centre and Beinn Sgulaird R
4296.jpg
Sgulaird L and Fraochaidh centre: I guess that must be Ardgour behind
4300.jpg
Beinn Fhionnlaidh - with Bheinn a Bheithir behind L
7405.JPG
Zoomed view - Bidean on the R and Sgor na -h- Ulaidh and Stob an Fhuarain centre
7406.JPG
Wider view of the whole NW panorama
7409.jpg
Looking up the glen
7413.JPG
Ben Starav is right opposite
7414.JPG
Zoomed
7418.JPG
Looking on to the summit
7419.jpg
From the start of the steep descent - Cruachan across Loch Etive
7421.JPG
Looking back at the descent - seen from here it's quite benign, but it's a convex slope and at the top it's not so obvious where to go. Like most others I think I started down to the R - L in this pic :lol:
7422.JPG
Basalt dykes in the granite

Views from the main summit
7423.JPG
The Ben Lui group on the L over the shoulder of Starav - Beinn Eunaich on the R
7431.JPG
Out to sea - over Creach Bheinn and Barcaldine
7434.JPG
Zoomed view - the white screes of Sgorr Dhearg on the R, Sgorr Dhonuill centre and Fraochaidh L
7437.JPG
Back over the sub-summit and up the glen
7438.jpg
Loch Etive and Cruachan again: I could just make out the paps of Jura and Colonsay on the horizon but the picture isn't clear enough for them to be seen
7440.JPG
I retraced my steps, pausing to peer down this steep narrow gully
7443.JPG
On the drive back up the glen I couldn't resist a photo of An Grianan in the evening sun :D :D
A wonderful day out and a beer at the Kingshouse on the way home :D :D
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland