walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cooking on Ben Challum

Cooking on Ben Challum

Postby maxie23 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:00 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Chaorach, Cam Chreag (Auch)

Date walked: 14/07/2019

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

Ascent: 1714m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weather forecast for Sunday promised a dry and sunny day with little or no wind, boy was it accurate.
Drove up via Crianlarich on a very bright and slightly humid start to the day.
Every lay by after Callander was choc a bloc with camper vans.
I went into the entrance for the Strathfillan wigwam site and used the parking facility just before the bridge to the campsite proper.
Started walking at 06.45, down the West Highland Way to Kirkton farm and the old graveyards.
There was a surreal atmosphere as I looked at the older grave site just as the sun began to appear in the sky behind it.
Anyway, up the hill I went, keeping a bit to the left of the path to avoid any boggy bits.
It was very peaceful walking up through the spongy grass and it wasn't long before the view back really began to catch my eye, what a glorious morning.ImageCrianlarich Munros by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen More and Stob Binnein by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCruach Ardrain by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBeinn a Chroin, An Caisteal and Beinn Chabhair by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Lui with a hat on by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Lui close up by robert irvine, on FlickrImageStrathfillan Wigwam campsite by robert irvine, on FlickrImageKirkton Farm and St Fillans church and graveyard by robert irvine, on Flickr
I put on the sun cream at this stage and continued uphill, boy was it getting hot, sweaty bum time.
I joined the main path at about 700 metres and gasped my way up to the south summit.
Time for a seat and a long drink ( of water ).
Stayed for a while and enjoyed the views.ImageBen Challum south summit to Crianlarich hills by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Challum south sumit to North summit by robert irvine, on FlickrImageSouth summit looking east by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCruach Ardrain and Beinn a Chroin close up by robert irvine, on FlickrImageArrochar hills by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Lui group by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Cruachan group up close by robert irvine, on FlickrImageView west by robert irvine, on Flickr
Eventually I made my way along the short ridge, down the dip and up to the main summit.
There wasn't a trace of wind and it was getting hotter and hotter.
Sat at the cairn for a while, enjoying where I was, sometimes it really is worth the effort of getting here.
A couple of younger lads from Edinburgh turned up, the first people I had seen on the hill all morning.
I think they were enjoying the scenery also.ImageMain summit to Crianlarich hills by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen More and Stob Binnein from summit by robert irvine, on FlickrImageArrochar hills from summit by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Lui group from summit by robert irvine, on FlickrImageView west from summit by robert irvine, on FlickrImageView north from summit, Creag Mhor centre by robert irvine, on FlickrImageView down Glen Lochay by robert irvine, on Flickr
At this stage I was undecided, should I sit on the summit for a while and enjoy the weather or continue with my original plan to take in the two nearby corbetts, Cam Chreag and Beinn Chaorach.
I was very aware of the drop into Beallach Ghlas Leathad and the very steep ascent back up.
Also, it was very hot and I am very lazy.
Made up my mind and descended the north west ridge of Ben Challum, down to the bealach.
This side of the mountain is a bit more rugged but there are plenty of grassy patches to avoid the rocky bits.
On the Walk Highlands guide it states that ' the slopes north of the bealach particularly are steep '.
Guess what ? The guide is absolutely right.
It was a bit of a slog in the bright sun and with no wind.
I was very grateful to reach the top and walk along the ridge in the welcome breeze that was beginning to spring up.
Ben Challum certainly looks a lot different from this side.
It's a very pleasant walk along the ridge to the summit of Cam Chreag.ImageCam Chreag summit back to Ben Challum by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCam Chreag summit to Bridge of Orchy hills by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCam Chreag to Creag Mhor and end of Loch Lyon by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCam Chreag looking west by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCam Chreag to Ben Lui by robert irvine, on Flickr
Enjoyed another pleasant break sitting here with a few crows for company, or were they vultures just hanging about on the off chance.
The next part of the walk was a bit calmer, a nice gentle descent and then a gradual long climb up to the summit of Beinn Chaorach.
Cracking views again.ImageBeinn Chaorach summit to Crianlarich hills by robert irvine, on FlickrImageLooking back to Ben Challum by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBack to Cam Chreag by robert irvine, on FlickrImageView to west by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCruachan group by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Lui by robert irvine, on Flickr
Sat at the trig point and enjoyed the last of my food and water.
Then took a leisurely stroll down the south slope of Beinn Chaorach and finally along the farm track back to the car at Auchtertyre.
Cracking day, doesn't get much better than this.

Track_2019-07-14 150559.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland