walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tombolo's and Sea Cliffs, a fine walk around St Ninians Isle

Tombolo's and Sea Cliffs, a fine walk around St Ninians Isle

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:21 am

Route description: St Ninian's Isle, near Bigton

Date walked: 19/05/2019

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Vlog:

A final few hours to kill before getting the last flight back to Aberdeen and I headed to a damp St Ninian Isle. TBH I hadnt been expecting much from Shetland , mainly due to my misconception that its landscapes were bleak, treeless,windswept moors - how wrong was I! As I made my way to the Isle a report came on the radio to say Shetland had been voted the 6th best location to visit by lonely planet! After last night trip to The Lang Ayre and today's trip to St Ninians, I can see why - what a stunning landscape and definitely somewhere I I'll visit again (with more time!)

some snaps:

ImageSt Ninians Isles Tombolo by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageShetland flaura by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagebeach pano3 (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageSt Ninian Isle Shetland by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageSt Ninians Isle Shetland by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: Tombolo's and Sea Cliffs, a fine walk around St Ninians

Postby Anne C » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:15 pm

Beautiful photos and video - atmospheric! :clap:
Just back from 4 days on Shetland myself and the coastal scenery was stunning, far beyond what I expected also.Did the St Ninian's Isle walk too, what a cracker.Amazed at the wildflowers too.
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Re: Tombolo's and Sea Cliffs, a fine walk around St Ninians

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:30 am

Anne C wrote:Beautiful photos and video - atmospheric! :clap:
Just back from 4 days on Shetland myself and the coastal scenery was stunning, far beyond what I expected also.Did the St Ninian's Isle walk too, what a cracker.Amazed at the wildflowers too.

Thanks Anne, I agrees ,t he coastline is spectacular - its on my places to return to when I have more time :)
wilkiemurray

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland