walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A novice up the Meikle Bin

A novice up the Meikle Bin

Postby hsmuzo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:20 am

Route description: Meikle Bin, Carron Valley

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 13/07/2019

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 397m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walk 4, 2019. Time: c.2.5 hour. Weather: humid, hot at base, cold at summit
Overall: :)

A decent weekend morning walk

Travel & Parking:
This was an easy enough journey, though some single track roads on approach which were busy. The start point car park was small, but easy to find.

The walk
Having been too busy with work to get out into nature for about a month Meikle Bin felt like the right size to get me going again. I set off early to miss the crowds and began the walk.
The trail is good underfoot (though stony, I was glad of boots not trainers) and goes through the forest. At this time of year, there's plenty of visual interest with wildflowers coming up through the trees, the reservoir and wind farm peeking into view, and the odd wee pool or burn. It was very clammy, and I was glad when the forest opened out briefly over a stream - giving some more visual interest.

The trail climbs through forest for some time. A bit of a slog on a muggy day - but once the forest is cleared and the view opens out there are tantalising views across to the Trossachs, giving a taste of what was to come.

The final ascent goes off path onto grass - dry for me, but could well be boggy on a wet day. A few 'photo stops' to cool down on the way up, but a great 360 view from the top - as far as the Forth Bridges to the east, Tinto to the South and the Trossachs, as mentioned.

We descended on the same route, and it felt quite quick. Plenty of families passing us on their way up, which was nice to see.

One annoyance on this route was the swarms of flies. Perhaps my shampoo or something - but they seemed to enjoy congregating around my head!!! :shock:

R&R
It was home-time straight away!
hsmuzo
Wanderer

Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland