walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

No recollection - but the timing was perfect

No recollection - but the timing was perfect

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:31 am

Route description: Beinn Odhar Bheag and Beinn Mhic Cedidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mhic Cedidh, Beinn Odhar Bheag

Date walked: 02/06/2019

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Vlog:

I have always had a pipe dream to have a campervan…. Days spent in the back of the car become crammed and uncomfortable and I dreamt of a day I could have some more comfort!

Anyway, my cousins rent out their campervan and very kindly loaned me it for a week . Superb – I had a bit of a bagging bug the last few weeks so decided as the forecast wasn’t great, that I would bag some of the remaining Corbetts I hadn’t done. Initially I was headed for the Loch Arkraig area, but for some reason or another (cant remember!) I decided to loiter just to the south and bag the Corbetts I hadn’t done in Ardgour, Moidart and Sunart! Excellent plan! Sunday afternoon was looking the best weather for the week so I decided to get the hardest hike done first that was Beinn Odhar Beag and Beinn Mhic Cedidh. As I started , things looked ok, but as I got higher I was soon in the clag and I wasn’t expecting much in the way of views .

However, just before I reached the top of the first Corbett , Beinn Odhar Beinn, the cloud blew away leaving tremendous views – I was a happy hiker. Next up was the long drop before heading up the steep grassy slopes of Beinn Mhic Cedidh. I was pretty tired after a busy weekend and the drive up etc etc but the change in in weather fortunes had put a stride in my step J The views for the summit of Cedidh were grand with the Rois Bhienn circuit looking superb.

Some Photos...

ImageFirst view by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageLochan high on the hill by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageLoch Sheil by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImagePeak Peeking out by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

It was getting through into the evening now and the showers were starting to rattle through and I eventually finished the walk with a rather damp road walk back to the car! This is where the camper van came into its own – I popped the roof , got the heater on and had a cup of tea after changing in comfort to nice dry clothes J

ImageCamper van night one spot by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageThunderstorms beyond the camper by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

It was a relatively demanding round for an afternoon/evening but I was glad I had got these two in the bag ;)

Note – the next evening after summiting Beinn Resipol, I was flicking through my Corbett book and discovered I had already climbed these hills back in the winter of 2014!! Doh!!
wilkiemurray

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland