walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Plan B: Tower Ridge

Plan B: Tower Ridge

by dav2930 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:08 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 14/07/2019

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 1994m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Plan B: Tower Ridge

Postby prog99 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:04 pm

On the trickiest bits we pitched properly, which pleased Karl. If he'd had his way we would have pitched nearly all of it, but then we'd probably still be there now!

You probably would be. When I did it a few years ago there was another team right on our heels as we pitched the very wet initial chimney from the gap, then we never saw them again until having our lunch up the top and they were indeed pitching everything.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:33 pm

prog99 wrote:
On the trickiest bits we pitched properly, which pleased Karl. If he'd had his way we would have pitched nearly all of it, but then we'd probably still be there now!

You probably would be. When I did it a few years ago there was another team right on our heels as we pitched the very wet initial chimney from the gap, then we never saw them again until having our lunch up the top and they were indeed pitching everything.

At the gap I think you can reach across to a jug and avoid the last step of the descent, but it's quite bold unless your'e very tall. When we did it there was a party of four (novices) waiting on the Great Tower: The team of three ahead of us were part across, when the Leader said "shall I go?" and I said yes. I Lifted our rope for their third man to do it and then followed. One of the novices wailed "but we've been waiting for ages" and I said " But there's plenty of room for two ropes" and I think they said - " I suppose you know what you're doing" - which we did! I don't think we held them up but I've felt a bit guilty about it ever since :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Postby prog99 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:42 pm

past my sell by date wrote:
prog99 wrote:

At the gap I think you can reach across to a jug and avoid the last step of the descent, but it's quite bold unless your'e very tall. When we did it there was a party of four (novices) waiting on the Great Tower: The team of three ahead of us were part across, when the Leader said "shall I go?" and I said yes. I Lifted our rope for their third man to do it and then followed. One of the novices wailed "but we've been waiting for ages" and I said " But there's plenty of room for two ropes" and I think they said - " I suppose you know what you're doing" - which we did! I don't think we held them up but I've felt a bit guilty about it ever since :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah, I meant the Douglas gap.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:54 am

prog99 wrote:Ah, I meant the Douglas gap.

We went further East, and up some ledges , getting on to TR well above that
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby DizzyVizion » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:19 pm

Wow! :D That is a fantastic report! :clap:

You must have been knackered after all that :lol:

I was up the CMD again in June - taking my nephew on his first outing. While on the summit plateau, I had a really good look at Tower Ridge and the gap for a future trip. This report will be invaluable for it though, so big thanks :thumbup:

Which would you recommend- Tower Ridge? Or Observatory Ridge?

And I can recommend the north face car park absolutely (except when it's the weekend of the world downhill mountain bike championships. I have just one word for it... Carnage! :crazy: )
DizzyVizion
Stravaiging

Munros:28   

Postby gaffr » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:14 am

Hope that I can add a bit to the Question of comparing Tower Ridge with Observatory Ridge....Have only done Observatory using the direct start that is supposed to be a touch harder than the normal route. Same as for NE Buttress using the direct Arete route of Raeburn that he did in 1902.
Of all the big ridges on the Ben there is perhaps more variety of terrain/situations on Tower Ridge....a good route to experience what the Ben is about as well as being a grand way of reaching the summit.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby DizzyVizion » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:32 am

gaffr wrote:Hope that I can add a bit to the Question of comparing Tower Ridge with Observatory Ridge....Have only done Observatory using the direct start that is supposed to be a touch harder than the normal route. Same as for NE Buttress using the direct Arete route of Raeburn that he did in 1902.
Of all the big ridges on the Ben there is perhaps more variety of terrain/situations on Tower Ridge....a good route to experience what the Ben is about as well as being a grand way of reaching the summit.

Thanks gaffr
It'll be the first climbing route I do on the Ben so we will go with your recommendation on this one and go with TR first

Add in dav2930's report and I'm thoroughly sold on it :D
DizzyVizion
Stravaiging

Munros:28   

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:22 am

DizzyVizion wrote:
gaffr wrote:Hope that I can add a bit to the Question of comparing Tower Ridge with Observatory Ridge....Have only done Observatory using the direct start that is supposed to be a touch harder than the normal route. Same as for NE Buttress using the direct Arete route of Raeburn that he did in 1902.

Thanks gaffr
It'll be the first climbing route I do on the Ben so we will go with your recommendation on this one and go with TR first

Add in dav2930's report and I'm thoroughly sold on it :D

II would agree with that: the climbing on OR is a lot harder - (up to MVS in boots) though not serious. There's really nothing above Mod Diff on TR - though the Tower gap is scarily exposed I would have been happy to solo it in good dry conditions - only in my Heyday :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby malky_c » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:38 am

Oops, missed this one. Happy memories there, and a great report 8) .

We took an 'easier' variation on the Douglas Boulder direct - on the west side I think. It was terrifyingly loose and probably cost us about 2 hours :lol: . I think we would have been better to skip the whole thing and get to the meat of the route higher up sooner.

Looked like a fantastic day. Shame you missed out on your preferred route but this would have been a decent consolation, I would have thought :D .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby gaffr » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:43 pm

Sounds like South West ridge Maiky….I went that way once to get to the TR proper. :)
Best avoided and to get around to the other side of the Boulder to, by way of the narrow rocky slot ( good secure easy angled rock) East Gully, to reach the First wee pitch on the Ridge proper...good anchor at the base.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby dav2930 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:29 pm

DizzyVizion wrote:Wow! :D That is a fantastic report! :clap:

You must have been knackered after all that :lol:

I was up the CMD again in June - taking my nephew on his first outing. While on the summit plateau, I had a really good look at Tower Ridge and the gap for a future trip. This report will be invaluable for it though, so big thanks :thumbup:

Which would you recommend- Tower Ridge? Or Observatory Ridge?

And I can recommend the north face car park absolutely (except when it's the weekend of the world downhill mountain bike championships. I have just one word for it... Carnage! :crazy: )

Thanks Dizzy! Glad you found the report useful. I haven't done Observatory Ridge so I defer to Gaffr and past my sell by date. I'd say Tower Ridge is ideal if you're looking for something just a bit more challenging than Curved Ridge but not as technical or serious as Agag's Groove. It has plenty of interesting scrambling on it and the Gap, though exposed, is not difficult and soon over with. Choose a good day for it and I'm sure you'll love it.

Next time I visit the Ben I'll definitely approach from the North Face car park. All the best. :)

malky_c wrote:Oops, missed this one. Happy memories there, and a great report 8) .

We took an 'easier' variation on the Douglas Boulder direct - on the west side I think. It was terrifyingly loose and probably cost us about 2 hours :lol: . I think we would have been better to skip the whole thing and get to the meat of the route higher up sooner.

Looked like a fantastic day. Shame you missed out on your preferred route but this would have been a decent consolation, I would have thought :D .

Thanks Malky. From your description of the west ridge of DB I'm rather glad we weren't tempted to go that way ourselves - it sounds a good approach in the guide! :shock: Well done on doing TR yourself!

Yes it was a fantastic day; I think we would have enjoyed it all the more if TR had been our objective in the first place. But it was indeed a decent consolation. Cheers :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Grisu » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:10 pm

What a shame about the forecast and the missed chance! I am pretty much impressed that you took the time to take all the great pics although time was so tight! Good luck for the next time!!!
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Postby dav2930 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:59 pm

Grisu wrote:What a shame about the forecast and the missed chance! I am pretty much impressed that you took the time to take all the great pics although time was so tight! Good luck for the next time!!!

Thanks Grisu! :D I'd like to have taken more photos actually, as I missed an awful lot of spectacular views from TR. I'm hoping we'll get a spell of warm, dry weather in the not too distant future for a return visit to the Ben, though it may have to wait till next year now. :problem:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland