walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Slioch, solo - one of the best mountain days ever....

Slioch, solo - one of the best mountain days ever....

Postby MusicalHiker » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:33 pm

Route description: Slioch, near Kinlochewe

Munros included on this walk: Slioch

Date walked: 19/04/2019

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 19 km

20 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In April, we were in the caravan at Kinlochewe, and I was watching the forecast carefully. We were due to go home on Thursday, but I could see Friday was looking fabulous and so we extended our stay and went home on Saturday so that I could climb Slioch.
I don't tick hills off lists; I've no real desire to climb all of them. I just go and climb the ones that call to me; the interesting or unique ones, and Slioch had been looking very attractive for a while!
I started by getting my stuff ready and getting 9 hours' sleep in preparation. We set off together at 9.30 and Trevor walked with me for the first hour, along the easy path towards Loch Maree. The colours were gorgeous and there were birds singing all around. Just before the river meets the loch, he went back and I carried on, alone, into the sunny wilderness.
DSC_4021.JPG
All ready to go!

DSC_4026.JPG
Primroses

DSC_4035.JPG

DSC_4041.JPG
Viewing the mighty mountain

I had worn trainers for the walk as far as the river, and carried my boots. At this point I changed into the boots, carried the trainers, and set off across the bridge and upstream. It was very lovely and reminded me of the Fairy Pools on Skye - except quieter! I was so engrossed in the pools that I failed to spot the path striking off to the left and had to guess where it was and join it a bit further along. This plan worked, however!
DSC_4057.JPG
Pools

DSC_4062.JPG
Big boulders

It was quite a hard slog, up to the col, especially in the heat. I had 2 water bottles and a carton of coconut water, but was banking on drinking some river water at some point!
DSC_4074.JPG
View into the grassy bowl

The bowl was quite impressive, and massive, and I couldn't tell at that point where the top was - but I could see a faint path going up the far side diagonally, which matched the map, so I headed for that.
DSC_4082.JPG
The path!

DSC_4083.JPG

At the top of this marvellous path, there are lochans. They were so inviting I started to take my clothes off for a swim... but then I thought, I am nowhere near the top yet, and if there is a chilly breeze higher up I might get a chill, so I decided not to risk it.
DSC_4085.JPG
Lochan

DSC_4090.JPG
Lochans from a little higher up

From here, the path up the next section looked a bit hairy. It's my least favourite thing, steep loose stuff that moves - but I'd rather go up it than down it, so up I went. It was worth it for the views - absolutely spectacular.
DSC_4098.JPG
Getting higher....

DSC_4101.JPG
Loch Maree appearing

DSC_4103.JPG

I was starting to get really excited - I was almost at the top of Slioch! The summit is further around though, down and up more grassy slopes, and some snow still lying at this point too, and then finally I was there, and looking along to the ridge, and down at the amazing hidden lochs below!
DSC_4115.JPG

DSC_4119.JPG

DSC_4120.JPG
Bee at the top!

DSC_4122.JPG

I savoured the views and the sense of achievement and wondered what to do next.
It was either back the same way, or tackle the ridge. I did not fancy going back down the steep, loose section, and the conditions were excellent, so I decided to be brave and go along the ridge - and I'm glad I did, because it was easy and spectacular! I think I'm nervous of ridges more because of the look on my husband's face when I talk about them than anything else - I'm fine with heights and steady on my feet. This was my first vaguely narrow one but there were only a couple of places where you could hurt yourself if you fell.
DSC_4129.JPG

DSC_4140.jpg
Ridge! Woohoo!

Looking back....
DSC_4156.JPG

The end of the ridge came, quite abruptly, and then it was a case of finding my way down - which wasn't very pleasant, as some parts were very steep and rocky. I sat on a rock and ate my food, and then tackled the descent, roughly following another couple of walkers. I was glad to get this part over with and re-join the path near where I'd entered the grassy bowl earlier. At this point I met another solo girl, and we walked back down together, having interesting chats about curlews and the state of the environment.
DSC_4157.JPG

DSC_4158.JPG

DSC_4164.JPG

DSC_4167.JPG

I was glad I'd taken my DSLR with me, but it's pretty cumbersome, so I stopped taking pictures and put it in the backpack on the walk back out, and I changed back into trainers at the pools, had a nice wade about in the cool water, and also filled my bottles in the waterfalls. The loveliest water I've ever drunk!
I skipped back into the car park as fresh as a daisy- Trevor was amazed - and I had a long shower back at the caravan park. I went to bed at 7pm and woke up the next morning quite stiff and sore, which was ok because I just had to sit in the car while we towed the caravan back to Inverness!
Delighted to have had this amazing day. I wrote a report the next day but accidentally added too many photos and lost it - so here it is again. Very hard to pick just 25!
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Re: Slioch, solo - one of the best mountain days ever....

Postby denfinella » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:31 pm

Beautiful - I'm not a bagger either but this one is definitely on my list!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby MusicalHiker » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:24 pm

Thanks - I reckon if I became focused on bagging all the munros, for example, I'd miss some of the really cracking smaller hills - like Suilven, The Cobbler, The Fiddler. They were all amazing! A lot of my favourites are smaller, and much harder too despite having lower summits. Next on my list - Quinag!
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Postby denfinella » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:59 am

I completely agree!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Dunblane Bagger » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:42 pm

Slioch is an absolute gem of a mountain.

Looks like I took the same route as you, following the ridge after the summit. good seeing it in summer conditions as I climbed it in perfect full winter last year.
Dunblane Bagger
Munro compleatist

Munros:145   Corbetts:33
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:6   

Postby U059361 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:31 am

Thanks for your detailed description of the walk and the very helpful pictures, this one's been calling me too, just a matter of when.............
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:26 pm

A great mountain in perfect weather - what more could one ask for? Really enjoyed this report and accompanying pics.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Coop » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:32 pm

Great report and pics- cheers.
Hopefully on here soon - a couple of months still, until the clocks go back.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:38 pm

Great report and pictures :clap: :clap: ! Slioch is high on my list of favourite mountains, like you we do what takes our interest rather than aiming for all the munros and have been up Slioch three times and I am sure we will climb it again.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:39 pm

Great report and pictures :clap: :clap: ! Slioch is high on my list of favourite mountains, like you we do what takes our interest rather than aiming for all the munros and have been up Slioch three times and I am sure we will climb it again.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby MusicalHiker » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:21 pm

Thank you all for the kind comments!
It was a fantastic day, and I'd love to go up again sometime - it had everything you could wish for and I did hit it lucky with the weather too!
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:57 am

:D Super report and Fabulous pics! :clap:

This is one I have lined up to celebrate the end of Lockdown.... but also one I'm saving for perfect weather.

Camped atop Suilven last Sept....Slioch always reminds me of Suilvens big brother....with Liathach the big surly uncle from the same family. :lol:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   

Postby AJ01 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:57 pm

Superb photos - both in composition and quality, with the latter not surprising if you were using a DSLR. As for the subject of bagging Munros or doing lower more interesting mountains, my solution is to do both! That's why when I was staying at the Inchnadamph Hotel to climb Conival and Ben More Assynt I made sure that I took a day to climb Suilven as well. :)

Angus
AJ01

Munros:221   Corbetts:3

Postby MusicalHiker » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:45 am

AJ01 wrote:Superb photos - both in composition and quality, with the latter not surprising if you were using a DSLR. As for the subject of bagging Munros or doing lower more interesting mountains, my solution is to do both! That's why when I was staying at the Inchnadamph Hotel to climb Conival and Ben More Assynt I made sure that I took a day to climb Suilven as well. :)

Angus

Thank you - yes it was worth dragging the 'big camera' up there, there's a definite improvement in quality over iPhone although my 'new' iPhone 7 is very good.

Suilven is fab, the walk in makes it anything but easy, also loved Conival, Quinag is on my list for this year though - haven't done it yet and it keeps looking at me!
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Postby MusicalHiker » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:47 am

Lightfoot2017 wrote::D Super report and Fabulous pics! :clap:

This is one I have lined up to celebrate the end of Lockdown.... but also one I'm saving for perfect weather.

Camped atop Suilven last Sept....Slioch always reminds me of Suilvens big brother....with Liathach the big surly uncle from the same family. :lol:

Very wise to wait for the weather- the views are incredible! Liathach, gorgeous, hopefully one day if I have someone to do it with me - a little unsure about doing it alone...

I was surprised on Suilven by that big grassy summit.... perfect for a camp!
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

20 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland