walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Trip to Muck

Trip to Muck

Postby KatTai » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:20 pm

Route description: Gallanach and Aird nan Uan

Date walked: 28/07/2019

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 6.75 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the weather forecast not looking great on the Wednesday, I decided to have a change of plan and take the MV Sheerwater from Eigg to Muck for a day trip. Around 20 years ago I saw my first whales from this same boat!

69.jpg
Moss on Muck

Arriving on Muck most of the other people on the boat headed straight for the cafe, but we opted to walk first following the road across the island with views looking back across to Eigg, Rum was mostly hidden in the cloud.

70.jpg
Looking across to Eigg

71.jpg
Rum hidden in cloud

I had planned to let Moss have a play on the beach at Gallanach, but when we got there no chance! There were cows on the beach (and a couple of Highland ponies too). No beach fun to be had here!

74.jpg
Cows on the beach

73.jpg
Highland ponies

We continued on heading towards the farm turning off onto a narrower path turning onto a narrow, muddy path just before reaching the cottage. With all the rain this bit was particularly muddy and slippy, but it is a short climb up.

82.jpg
Looking down at Gallanach

The muddy path took us up onto the grassy ridge. Here it was easy walking along a faint path with great views across the sea between Muck and rum. I kept an eye out out, there were a lot of seals around (there is a colony at Gallanach) but sadly no cetaceans or basking sharks spotted.

83.jpg
Gallanach bay

In front of us we could see the Bronze-Age burial site and headed towards it, some sheep moving away as we approached leaving just us there.

79.jpg
Moss at the Bronze Age burial site

81.jpg

Heading back the way we came, the cows had moved from the beach and were now on the road :shock: Other people were walking passed them, but it was too close for comfort for me and I took a detour round them on the beach :lol: Once passed the cows despite being on a road it was still a lovely walk back to Port Mor and the cafe where there was plenty of time for tea and cake before getting the boat back to Eigg. (Yes, I had two pieces of cake, they were both very nice :wink: )

90.jpg
Cake!

100.jpg
Moss with the MV Sheerwater in the background
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Trip to Muck

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:18 am

Lovely - you and Moss seem to have been having a great island adventure!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Re: Trip to Muck

Postby KatTai » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:16 pm

nigheandonn wrote:Lovely - you and Moss seem to have been having a great island adventure!

Yes we had a lovely time away, Eigg is just such a lovely place and well worth spending a couple of nights there :D
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland