walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Right to Roam Question?

Right to Roam Question?

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:50 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Wether Hill

Date walked: 27/07/2019

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 450m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another Borders visit on a return trip from down south, after the sweltering week we have just had the forecast for a Saturday walk came with a yellow warning of rain for just about everywhere. I was still going to walk regardless, my waterproofs were packed so a few drops of rain wouldn't deter me.
I am now having to travel further west of the M74 so I opted to visit Wether Hill, after looking at the walk reports and then the map I decided to try a different route. The route I planned was to be on road or track apart from the last 50 yards or so.
I arrived at my start point and parked the car in a kind of layby, it may look a squish but the B729 is not a busy road.

Parking spot

The road that took me up to Craiglearan

Still on the road that is just under half a mile

As I reached Craiglearan I walked in front of the house and round to the north, a male who I presume was the farmer pulled up on his ATV and in his posh Scottish voice asked me where I was going, I told him Wether Hill. He informed me the usual way to Wether Hill was 3 miles along the road and obviously expecting me to turn round and head back to my car. I said according to my map there is a track all the way uphill where it then joins up with the wind farm tracks, he didn't disagree. I apologised if he was offended and set off on my way he asked me to shut the gate, I said I always do - there were actually 5 of them. I posted the brief details of my encounter on Facebook and it would appear that I am not the first person to be approached by the gentelman - this has been going on for quite a few years.
I have to admit if there were any warning signs or private road signs, I didn't see them so they can't have been very prominent.
I appreciate this topic will probably generate opinions and advice and has been raised before but I feel I should advise anyone who is planning to tackle Wether Hill by the same route.
Once I had walked round the house which is on the right, there are buildings possibly farm related on the left, the track then heads uphill and the first gate is then reached.

Track heading up

Looking south

Looking back

This gate was open but being a responsible walker I shut it, I didn't want to be accused of leaving it open

Good fire break to walk through

This is what I was expecting to see

The track ahead very visible, then joins up with the wind farm track

Little bridge over a small burn

Now on the wind farm track

Interesting small group of trees

Building linked to the wind farm

Turbine at the end of the track

Turbine spotters dream

Looking back

Video taken on the summit of Wether Hill

Not the biggest cairn

Looking back at the wall I climbed over

Quite a few of walls and fences in the Borders

Looking the other way along the wall/fence

After taking the usual photo's I headed back down, I could see that rain was on the way so a brisk descent was on the cards.
The descent was uneventful and I didn't meet anyone and was back at the car 2 hours after setting off.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland