walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A scorcher on Creag Ruadh

A scorcher on Creag Ruadh

Postby rob munbett » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:07 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Ruadh (Kinloch Laggan)

Date walked: 30/07/2019

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 350m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was heading up to Inverness for a night before travelling on to Aulbea to meet up with friends for a few days and I thought that I would break my journey with a little detour up past Laggan and Spey Dam to have a walk up Creag Ruadh. I say 'walk' but it was more of a slog in the heat of the afternoon. I parked on the grass verge just before Sherrabeg, crossed the bridge and went through the gate, heading for the gap between the two forests. The going was tough through some pretty dense vegetation but there was a track (of sorts) to follow, even if at times it did disappear in the 'jungle'.
P1040310(1).JPG
looking back down towards Sherrabeg
I went up though the gap on, by now, a very boggy track beside a fence, having to duck under some branches from time to time. Then, out on the open hillside, I could see the summit and I headed up to a cairn on the horizon.
P1040311(1).JPG
Looking up towards the summit
From here, it was over a deer fence to follow a line of old fence posts above Loch na Larrige to the summit column trig, where I sat for a while enjoying the views, especially down Loch Laggan.
P1040316(1).JPG
On the summit looking down Loch Laggan
I headed back down the same way and it was a relief to get back to the car to get the air-con on. The temperature read 28c.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland