walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ratagan 2019 (Part 2) - A'Ghlas-bheinn and a spot of deja-vu

Ratagan 2019 (Part 2) - A'Ghlas-bheinn and a spot of deja-vu

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:26 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Ghlas-bheinn

Date walked: 13/07/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1250m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I do love the smell of deja-vu in the morning! Fast forward 24 hours. Here I was again - back at the Morvich bunkhouse in the company of a Mr J. Wilson from Yorkshire. No Bod. No Sue. But there were four others with us - Jim, Tommy, Steve K and Geoff the Tinman. Mr Wilson and I appeared to have been talked into repeating our walk up into Gleann Choinneachain and across the Allt a'Choire Chaoil, except this time we would continue up to the Bealach an Sgairne and onto A'Ghlas-bheinn as opposed to Beinn Fhada. That hill is so yesterday! :lol:

We were not being Purists today so we drove all the way along to the hostel and parked up on the verge before following the familiar route up into the glen to my new favourite river crossing. There were no forestry operations going on across the glen (maybe a body had been found!!!!???? :shock: ) but deja-vu kicked back in at the Allt a'Choire Chaoil where we stopped again for elevenses (or twelvses as it was today :lol: ).

1.jpg
Geoff, Jonathan, Jim and Tommy

2.jpg
That gate again!

3.jpg
Twelvses

I again availed myself of the iron bars as did a few others but Mr W again opted for the stepping stone method. Safely across, we tackled the switchbacks of the stalkers path up to the junction again but this time carried on up towards the Bealach an Sgairne.

4.jpg
Path snaking up towards the bealach

5.jpg
Tommy gazing back down the glen

6.jpg
Shades of the Lairig Ghru

The pull up through the upper reaches of the glen as it narrows towards the bealach felt to me a lot like parts of the Lairig Ghru, which I particularly appreciated as I have so far this year not done my seemingly ritualistic annual DofE expedition through it (for the first time in about 6 or 7 years, although the year is still, like myself, fairly young!) OK, middle aged then! :lol:

From the bealach we set about the long knobbly, undulating ridge up onto A'Ghlas-bheinn, one of the lowest of the Munros at a modest 918 metres in height. Sue and Bod had told Jonathan and myself only yesterday about this ridge - how it goes on and on in a seemingly never ending series of knolls and false summits, but for all that, it was a thoroughly enjoyable walk. In fact, just the kind of bimble up to a Munro summit that I love.

7.jpg
The gang at the Bealach an Sgairne

8.jpg
Back down Gleann Choinneachain

9.jpg
Loch a'Bhealach from a different angle to yesterday

10.jpg
Right up my street

11.jpg
Sgurr a'Choire Ghairbh and Sgurr an Airgid across pear shaped lochan

12.jpg
Gleann Gaorsaic

13.jpg
One of the many ups and downs

14.jpg
Loch Duich and Sgurr an Airgid

15.jpg
Across Loch a'Bhealach and Sgurr Gaorsaic to a distant Mullach Fraoch-choire and A'Chralaig, with Ciste Dubh just poking out above the Brothers Ridge

16.jpg
Back to yesterday's hill with our ascent route onto the Plaide Mhor in full view

17.jpg
Across Sgurr a'Choire Ghairbh and Loch Duich towards a distant Beinn Sgritheall

The sense of deja-vu returned shortly before we reached the summit when we again entered the clag zone, although talk of shandies (or indeed full fat ales for the four of us not driving! :D ) had not yet started if memory serves. :lol:

18.jpg
Damn GLW once again - he was here only a few days ago and clearly left his clag behind!

19.jpg
Mr Wilson believes he has spotted Steve Smith again!

20.jpg
The cover artwork is complete but we're not yet sure when the official album release date is

After a spot of lunch (during which we all wrapped up well against what was now a biting wind chill more reminiscent of March than July), we picked our way down tricky slopes to the north, snaking between the falls on the Allt an Leoid Ghaineamhaich to our left and the craggy bump of Meall Dubh to our right.

21.jpg
Heading north off the summit

22.jpg
Meall Dubh

23.jpg
Sgurr an Airgid and our way home

Once safely onto the path at the Bealach na Sroine, I had a penultimate sense of deja-vu as a discussion started up about whether to head back to the pub or continue on, in today's case meaning a detour to the Falls of Glomach. The pub option got the vote, unanimously, and so we headed down the path into the forestry, a little to quickly for some! :lol:

24.jpg
Jim and Tommy with cold beers on their minds

We passed a baby deer tucked up below some thick fern cover at the side of the forestry track before the route took us through a field and then across a footbridge over the Abhainn Chonaig to rejoin our inward route - the fourth time that myself and Jonathan had now done this stretch in either direction in little over 24 hours! :roll:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Ratagan 2019 (Part 2) - A'Ghlas-bheinn and a spot of dej

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:03 pm

FB_IMG_1564603235905.jpg

I'm afraid you are mistaken Mr Dewar
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:08 pm

FB_IMG_1564603562552.jpg

However you may have a point with Fhada tho :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland