walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Summer Bunting

Summer Bunting

Postby weedavie » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:09 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhrotain, Monadh Mòr

Date walked: 22/05/2019

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1100m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A bit late with this but I noticed someone had posted a snow bunting on Ben Nevis on the Wildlife forum. This was a frankly miserable walk and none the worse for that. I'd been in the area for three days. Before I left home, this day had the best forecast. I never checked again. First two days I was on Corbetts and looking from Culardoch at Ben Avon, I was getting a feeling I might have been better off up there and tomorrow might not be so good.

Came the day, it started raining as I left Mar Lodge. The only point it stopped was a while on Monadh Mor when it turned to hail. I have to say I was pleased with my Altberg boots - one held out for 5 hours and the other for 6. The cloud base was about 900 metres but everything was saturated.
pic 1 590.jpg

However I met a snow bunting on the summit of Monadh Mor. I've previously met one in summer on Braeriach, there's that one on Ben Nevis and a couple of weeks later I met this one on Ben Macdui.
pic 2 590.jpg

Now as far as I know, only 100 pairs are supposed to remain in Scotland over summer. What's with them and Munro bagging?

On the way down I visited Carn Cloich-mhuillin. I like this top and, as this site's introduction to the Munros points out, Sir Hugh was saving it for his last. This is one that should still be a Munro out of respect. The 1997 revision included some outrageous promotions, notably the nearby Sgor an Lochain Uaine. In terms of remoteness and historical significance this is more deserving.
pic 3 590.jpg

The cycle back to White Bridge depends on fine nerve and a steady hand to take the drainage ditches. I had neither so frankly it was a bit of a nightmare.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

weedavie
Mountain Walker

Re: Summer Bunting

Postby Graeme D » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:27 am

weedavie wrote:This was a frankly miserable walk and none the worse for that.

Wonderful sentiment when walking in Scotland in the months of summer! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Phil the Hill » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:00 pm

I did pretty much the same route in reverse from Chest of Dee on 28 May, in a brief break in the wet weather. There were several snow buntings on the summit of Beinn Bhrotain, though I only managed one shot from distance. Yours is much better than I got.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:23 pm

I'm no expert but I'm convinced the number given (60 pairs I read somewhere) of resident snow buntings is way to low. I have seen them in the Cairngorms several times in summer. On Ben Nevis a couple of weeks ago there was a big amount close together around the horse trough - I reckon around 30. Last year on Ben Nevis they were plentiful flying around the summit at the edge of the north face.
Great to watch and really friendly. I have seen many on my last few visits to the ben.

You did well to get out in these conditions. All the best :D
Sunset tripper

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland