walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

We get away. Angus Hills (Day 1).

We get away. Angus Hills (Day 1).

Postby johnscot55 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:06 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 30/07/2019

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 835m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Monday (29th) and I was looking to see if there was a possibility of doing a walk the following day. The weather forecast was not great, with rain and thunder storms around, but I saw that the north east seemed to be escaping the dodgy stuff and an online check of mountain weather sites showed pretty decent weather for the relatively isolated pair of Munros of Mayar and Driesh. I was well aware of the two of them, but had never really considered them that much, as (up to that point), all my walks (for family reasons) have to be done in a day, and the round trip of at least 5 hours from the west central belt wasn't too appealing. But I wanted a walk, so this seemed the ideal time to bite the bullet and make the journey.
I called my daughter Louise, to find out if my grandson Matthew wanted to come and on being asked, I heard him shout an affimative reply. I told Louise to warn him it meant a fair amount of time in the car and, after another relayed conversation, she told me she was putting Matthew on the phone.
"Well, if we're going there can we not stay and do Mount Keen as well?"
I have to say I had never even considered this as, along with my wife, I have considerable childminding (grandkids) responsibilities (especially from Wednesday through Sunday) and feel it's bit unfair to let her shoulder this on her own, so after agreeing on Mayar and Driesh, I told him that I didn't think it was possible but to let me think about it.
Shortly afterwards my wife, who was out, gave me a call and I told her we were going to do a walk the following day and then what Matthew had suggested, and, as ever, putting Matthew first, she replied she would manage herself on Wednesday and that we should go for it!!!
Suddenly the "wee trip" might be possible :D. But I hadn't checked the weather for Wednesday and also we had nowhere to stay ( I'm not a camper and haven't slept in a tent since secondary school trips around fifty years ago).
Weather wise, Wednesday also looked OK, so what to do about accommodation? At such short notice maybe not so easy to find. Looking at the map, and not wanting to be isolated on Tuesday evening I decided somewhere around Brechin or Edzell might work, and after an online search and three phone calls got a suitable room with en-suite in a guest house in Brechin. £75 and an evening meal to buy over and above the normal fuel expense. Suddenly my quest for a walk was taking an expensive turn :lol:.
A return call was made to Louise to tell her the new plan and to prepare Matthew for a couple of days on the hills plus an overnight stay. She has another son, Callan who is four, and I think she was happy that Matthew had something to take up some more time during the school holidays and to reduce her workload by 50% :lol:. My wife arrived home to be told our "we trip" was on. Preparations were made and Matthew would stay with us for departure in the morning. Before going to bed I checked the forecasts again and although Tuesday remained fine, for Wednesday, several websites had changed from "sunny balls" to sunshine/rain and icons of lightning. Oh dear, this dampened my mood somewhat. It isn't weather, during which, I would choose to walk on a hill, particularly the lightning bit. And I knew Matthew wouldn't either. But I had booked the guest house and we were committed to go. I showed the predictions to Matthew and we decided to leave the decision about Mount Keen to Wednesday morning.
With the whole day to play with, we didn't set off too early and we arrived at the Glen Doll car park at around 10.30am. It was getting pretty warm by then and Matthew was immediately in a mood when he was told to slap on the factor 50! And I was annoyed to find that we had forgotten to bring his baseball cap, so his face and neck were given two coatings :lol:. We eventually set off around 10.45am. (by the way there is a £2 allday parking toll. Not too bad)
Now, to be honest, this walk, and these two hills are definitely not the grandest or most spectacular in the hillwalking scheme of things but it is totally worth it for the view alone that opens before you when, roughly one hour into the walk, you pop out of Glen Doll forest and the magnificent bowl of Corrie Fee and it's waterfall is laid before you. Pictures don't do it justice! In fact I would say if you are not into going up hills the walk to this point is worth it just to sit and take in the view and atmosphere.
Matthew and Corrie Fee.jpg
Matthew and Corrie Fee.

We did that, before heading along the basin floor and proceeding to climb the corrie on the obvious path that goes past the left of the waterfall. In the heat, Matthew (and me a bit too), by his own admission, struggled a bit here and both of us were glad to eventually reach the more gentle gradient of the plateau that led to the summit cairn of Mayar.
Matthew summit of Mayar..jpg
Matthew on summit of Mayar.
I know this is small beer for many here but this was significant for me as it was my 30th Munro, which was a personal target I had set myself in spring. We met a lad here and had a chat while having a snack before he took a picture for us and departed.
Matthew and me on summit of Mayar..jpg
Matthew and me on summit of Mayar.
Both of us got our second wind here and were not troubled too much after this point.
Between Mayar and Driesh.jpg
Between Mayar and Driesh.

The traverse to Driesh is pretty obvious (in good weather) and this was duly accomplished. No31 for me and No16 for Matthew.
Matthew summit of Driesh with friend..jpg
Matthew on summit of Driesh with friend.
Summit of Driesh..jpg
Summit of Driesh.
We met a couple here with their two daughters who had come up the Kilbo path to do the first ever Munro for the girls. We looked back at Mayar and asked them if they were headed that way, but I think they were going to settle for Driesh on its own.
Looking back at Mayar from Driesh..jpg
Looking back at Mayar from Driesh.
The lady took our picture.
Matthew and me on summit of Driesh..jpg
Matthew and me on summit of Driesh.
From here, the view north east shows the obvious hump of Mount Keen and I wondered if we were going to be sitting on the top of it the following day.
Mount Keen from summit of Driesh..jpg
Mount Keen from summit of Driesh.
I had been trying NOT to think of the following days weather and also the fact that neither Matthew or me had ever done two walks in consecutive days. Even if the weather was OK, would we be?
Another snack and some pics and we started our descent using the aforementioned Kilbo path.
Matthew on Kilbo Path. Pose is something to do with his favourite programme, Stranger Things.jpg
Matthew on Kilbo Path. Pose has something to do with his favourite programme, Stranger Things.
Kilbo Path..jpg
Kilbo Path.
rock formation on the descent..jpg
Rock formation on descent.
Corrie Kilbo..jpg
Corrie Kilbo
This path eventually deposited us back on the original forest track shortly before the car park which we made around 5.15pm.
The first walk was done. We had had a great day. The Sat. Nav. was set for the guest house and we headed for Brechin.
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Munros:46   Corbetts:4
Grahams:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   

Re: We get away. Angus Hills (Day 1).

Postby katyhills » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:31 am

Great report and photos. The wee lad's doing well! What a lovely day day you had for it too.
You're right - Corrie Fee is stunning, and photos don't always do it justice. I think lots of people who aren't hillwalkers do just go there, and maybe a bit further into it as the path is so good. It's a beautiful place. :D

I quite like those two hills, as the walk between the two is a great high level viewpoint, if the weather's decent. You can make it tougher by coming down the Scorrie - just beyond Driesh's summit - instead of down the Shank.
katyhills
Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Grahams:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland