walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

KIntail w/e

KIntail w/e

Postby Benaden887 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:15 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Carnan Cruithneachd, Druim Fada (Loch Hourn)

Date walked: 26/07/2019

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1520m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When the KMC listed a w/e @ Morvich this month, I put my name down, checked the weather forecast, then booked an extra day. Hopefully I could clear another section from my Grahams map.

Carnan Cruithneachd 16 km 750m 5h 26/07/2019

Arrived Morvich Outdoor centre 11.30. The place was still locked up so Billy and I had some refreshment then geared up for today's walk. It has been a while since either of us was last on a hill, but he with his GPS an me wi my maps, we should do ok. A Munroist and a Donalder, when not out running or bowlin or geocaching, Billy is currently doing the Arthurs. Being as we`re already here, it`s the Strath Croe approach to this Graham. The day is dry and warm, it`s mid day and few midges or clegs about, but that won`t last. So follow the Croe river upstream on a well made wooded path to reach open ground where a path on the left, signed Glomach falls, leads to a bridge over the river, and the Dorusduain wood. Cross a field R to reach a gate, then meet a forestry track. We climb steadily, pausing only to allow a young fawn to meander across our path before it melted into the trees. Pass the zigzags and at about 230m find a cairn @ ng983238. Here a rough track, leads N uphill until we swap the trees for hillside at a gated fence. The way winds on around the E side of Beinn Bhreac to Bealach Con, a marshy flatish col, sits atween it and our peak. Cross a wet reedy area for a tiring climb on grassy strips to crags in 29c heat. Then reach an unbelievable viewpoint from the Cruitneachd cairn of, Iron lodge and the Elchaig glen with its clutch of Grahams, Corbetts and Munros. Somewhere NE down there spout the Glomach Falls, But Billy an I have seen them from both sides so are content to sit and enjoy the view.
The clegs gie us a wakeup call, as the bs find us. A rapid retreat is the order. Map chk shows SE over Suie Dhu, to reach the Glomach path could be wet, so, taking a straight line from the cairn, we regained the burn and track @ng985248, returning the way we`d come. On reaching the field, we eased our way between a grand looking herd of red highland cows with calves. Return via the bridge to find, the hostel open and booked ourselves in.
A good day
Seen enroute umpteen frogs, a few lizards, birds, deer and heiland coos

Druim fada 10.5km 770m 5h 27/07/2019

After getting awful weather reports for this area, it`s a matter of damage limitation.

Billy and I are joined by Mike as he comes along for to test out his damaged ankle, neither are interested in doing the Grahams, still I`m glad to have company for a change.
It`s wet as we leave the hostel for Bealach Ratagan, then Arnisdale to park at the community centre in the tiny hamlet of Corran. First bit of bad news the wee tea shop is closed, this being change over day for all the rental punters. Could be a sign of things to come. Gear up to follow the river up stream for 4km and as we stop for a break @ ng883091,so comes the rain. Pull on waterproofs and eat. Billy finds a large blister on his heel, again not good news. Leaving the track which tails down to a bridge and what was to be our 2nd Graham, our hill top disappears into clag. Unhappy at the way things are starting to go wrong, we cross a burn with the odd name of Eigin Allt. Then its uphill for a long ascent of 600m. Clag swirls around us as we climb. The long wet grass is slippery and big steps are required before reaching a flatish area and here we rest. The mist thickens and the rain soaks thro clothing. Thoughts are given to turning back and Billy, with his heel now raw, calls it a day. Mike and I plod on, gaining height slowly, using map and the GPS to bolster moral. The twin lochans below, are shown thro gaps in the mist, ditto the ridge above, as we weave a way thro the crag layers until reaching the magic 700m mark to know that we`re nearly there. A gps walk brings up the cairn and a weary sense of achievement. The original game plan was to copy the weasels route by adding Beinn Clachach to the haul. But not today. Miffed, yet pleased that I`d managed this one, we retrace our route as well as can do striking the burn some 80m higher than the inward path. Return to the centre for a dry clothing change, then a quick return to the hostel for shower, hot meal and a good nites craic. Pleased to get this one done, worth the water in my boots and there`s aye another day of likewise weather when I can mibbes pick up Clachach.
.Seen enroute, the only action going on was a wedding party at Glenelg.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland