walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

KIntail w/e2

KIntail w/e2

Postby Benaden887 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:37 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Caillich (Kylerhea), Biod an Fhithich, Sgùrr na Coinnich

Date walked: 28/07/2019

Time taken: 8.3 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1235m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having offered to join me over this w/e. I`d emailed Billy a list of the 9 possible Grahams we could do, their grid refs and other needed waymarkers for his GPS. He was already ahead of me on most items.

Sgurr na Coinnich and Beinn na Caillich 6.20m 625m 5h 28/07/2019

Lying above Kylerhea, these less frequented hills can give a short days outing, just what we were in need of. The grim weather and low cloud base are still with us, as Billy with a plastered heel and I head for the Skye bridge, hoping for an easier day. Clag at ground level as we turn onto the narrow road to Kylerhea We pull over for a farmer and chat. Dinnae fret yersels, this ail ay burn aff, he said in passing. He was proved to be right. We park at a bridge, before Bealach Udal which at a height of 279m will provide us with a head start. Gear up and head across misty wet heather moorland to follow the line of a hidden burn. Billy has forgot to refill his flask and I` ve bottles o the stuff in the car. On a steeper rise, the burn shows a wee waterfall where we go to top up. Climb a rise, then another until we are above the clag and rest. The peak of Ben Aslak lies due S, but having lost its Graham status, we no longer need to climb it. Yesterdays hills are hidden in cloud, likewise the Cuillins, both red and black. Warmer now as we pass a lochan to reach Coinnich, trig point and cairn. Great views to the N now over the Kyles. Here Billy, with no urge to do Caillich, offers to return for the car and meet me at the public cp below Beinn Bhuidhe. Good thinking.
I trot down to Bealach nam Mulachag and while working out my ascent route, slip on rocks, staving my fingers and bending my pole. Check for damages, the pole`s worse than I am. Cross and make a direct fun ascent of its rocky south ridge to reach Caillich`s summit cairn. Ditto the views from the lower hill, I sit until it`s time to go. Find a path on the way down to the col then headed into Coire Bhuide clipping the corner of a forest to reach the otter trail and a waiting Billy.
A wash up, then wait at the jetty on the ferry, was enlivened by meeting a local woman whose relation had lived in Darvel and Billy knew of them.
Back at the hostel, a text for Billy gives two geocaches sites which we go out to nab. Then do we not meet up with (as I recognised the beard) the Weasel pair of WH fame and we exchange some hill walkers chat.
So a better day, plenty frogs and birds in the coire, seals at the ferry and the weather is improving.

Breakfast, pack our gear and we`re ready to go home. The day is bright and dry no clouds

Biod an Fhithich 6.5km 610m 3h 29/07/2019

Lying on the W side of the Sheil glen it is usually bypassed as punters head for the Saddle and the Forcan Ridge. I recall in 94 having dropped my son and Andy off at Cluanie lodge for the South Sheil ridge, as I later stood at the trig point on the Saddle and thought what a super round it would be comin from campsite at Sheil, doing Biod, the Saddle and a sweep of tops to Mhic Bharraich. Then in later years to find Dempster echoing the same thoughts in his book on the grahams.
Anyway back to the task in hand. We park at the ROW cp. Gear on walk the road, to and thro a gate, for a great stalkers path that climbs the E flank of Meallan Odhar. In no great hurry, with spaced stops, we reach the col. The glen stretches out below us while the peaks soar above us, jist magic. The ridge ahead is easy going, the 150m climb seems no time until we reach the spikey top of “Point of the Raven” and rest. . Sadly the clegs are here too, so return the way we came for a washup at the car. Then home.
Seen enroute, Cows deer butterflies, dragonflies, insects, frogs and birds
Good day, happy with my haul given the weather,
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland