walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sweat and toil on Meall an Doirein

Sweat and toil on Meall an Doirein

Postby rob munbett » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:08 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall an Doirein

Date walked: 28/07/2019

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 436m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having been out on the hills on the two previous days, days better suited to lying on a beach and cooling off in the sea, I had thought about having a rest day but finally decided to make the short journey from Aulbea to start this hill along the good path just south of Poolewe. Unfortunately, the weather was, again, hot and sticky with no relieving breeze - not really what I wanted as I headed off. The track, though, was fine and I made good time to the impressive little unnamed hill where I was to turn off and head across past some lochans to my hill.
P1040355(1).JPG
On the track
As ever, the terrain off the track was pretty rough and as the heat of the day built up, I began to slow down and stop more often to take on more fluids.
P1040356(1).JPG
Heading over to the hill
I tried to make things easier by staying on the exposed rock wherever possible and I finally crested a rise to get my first sight of the summit of the hill.
P1040363(1).JPG
looking over to the summit
As I walked over towards it, though. a sudden cold wind got up blowing in a front of cloud and heavy rain, markedly reducing visibility, so my visit to the top was somewhat spoiled. Typically, just as I was heading back over the rough, and by now sodden, ground back to the path, the rain stopped and everything cleared again and I had to endure the hot sun on my back the whole way to the car.
P1040364(1).JPG
The view down Loch Maree
P1040365(1).JPG
The walk out

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland