walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A warning of aggressive cattle walking from Newton Bridge

A warning of aggressive cattle walking from Newton Bridge

Postby jaffa61 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:30 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Gainimh

Date walked: 02/08/2019

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

While walking with my dog (under close control on lead) on track between Newton Bridge (in Sma Glen near Crieff, Perthshire) to Auchnafree, we approached a herd of cattle that were on and near the track.Approx grid reference 865318. There was no alternative route we could take as there were some cows in river at side of us too.The cows didn't have calves.My dog was very calm.The cattle ontrack approached aggressively us as we walked by, as did any nearby on grass.We walked faster and so did cows now following us.We broke into run and just made the cattle grid before they overran us.This was really frightening.People walking have no option but to come into contact with them.In my view they should be fenced in behind walking track.On average two people a year are killed & hundreds injured by cattle.
jaffa61
Mountain Walker

Munros:202   Corbetts:36
Fionas:41   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:11   Islands:7

Re: A warning of aggressive cattle walking from Newton Bridg

Postby Yorjick » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:50 am

Are most of those killed or injured, farmers, vets and abattoir workers rather than walkers?
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Re: A warning of aggressive cattle walking from Newton Bridg

Postby jaffa61 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:06 pm

http://theconversation.com/when-cows-attack-how-dangerous-are-cattle-and-how-can-you-stay-safe-around-them-79524

The above article has some interesting stats.Seemingly 4-5 people a year are killed, of which 1/4 are walkers.It was a different article I read previously but the stats were the roughly same.
I reported the incident to HSE giving location but they replied saying they needed a business address.I thought they could trace landowner better than me.They came across as uninterested.
jaffa61
Mountain Walker

Munros:202   Corbetts:36
Fionas:41   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:11   Islands:7

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland