walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Perfection on An Socach but bloodshed in Glen Affric

Perfection on An Socach but bloodshed in Glen Affric

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:24 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Ceathreamhnan group, Alltbeithe

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Affric)

Date walked: 23/07/2019

Distance: 31 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Inspired by Black Panther and the SMC book we decided to head for Glen Affric's An Socach from the car park at east end of Loch Affric. We deposited the car there (a bit later than planned) and were on our way, optimistic the overcast skies would clear to give us a stunning blue sky day. :D

We crossed the bridge and noticed how full the river was, the fullest I've seen. Thankfully we didn't have any large burns to cross or this might have been a problem.

River Affric from car park
IMG_8085-largec.JPG

Cloudy sky
IMG_8086-largec.JPG

Grazing horses
IMG_8087-largec.JPG

It was easy walking on the track, the only problem being Moira was in shorts. This in itself was not a problem but a concerted stealth attack on bare legs from clegs was. They land so softly you're not aware of them until they've ripped into your flesh, injecting anticoagulant to give a quick meal of blood and, despite my best efforts at whacking them off, Moira's legs were soon streaming with blood so she looked like she'd been running through a field of barbed wire. And depending on what they've been on before they dig their mouth parts into you, they may leave behind some nasties that turn into a horrible infection with swelling and pus that requires antibiotics to deal with. They are the blight of Highland summers for man and beast alike - evil brutes for which I can see no useful purpose. And unfortunately a midge-repelling breeze has no effect on them at all. :evil:

Fisherman's hut
IMG_8092-largec.JPG

We made good time to Athnamullach but chose not to stop for a break by the river as now (for variety) the midges were out in massed forces and if we'd hung about would have been all over us. We stopped a bit higher up where a cooling breeze did a good job of keeping them away and we thankfully seemed to have moved out of cleg territory. To our delight the earlier cloud had started to clear. :thumbup:

Blue sky appearing over Sail Chaorainn
IMG_8094-large.JPG

I've no photographic evidence but after heavy rain the night before the track was waterlogged in many places requiring off piste diversions which were often very boggy. I was more careful where I put my feet on the way in but on the return more inclined to walk right through it. :wtf:

Track to Alltbeithe
IMG_8095-large.JPG

About 2.5k on from Strawberry Cottage we reached the bridge from where the stalker's path winds its way up to the ridge, arriving at a col a little to the east of An Socach's north top. There was a waterfall just upstream from the bridge.

Alltbeithe YH was visible from here
IMG_8099-largec.JPG

A pretty decent path follows the river and fence up, fairly steeply for about 200m before the gradient eases as it reaches Coire Ghaidheil. Once on more level ground there were some very boggy patches to be negotiated, which slowed us down. It would definitely have been quicker going after a dry spell. The path was indistinct in places around the entrance to the corrie but higher up was more established and easier to follow as it took a rising traverse up to the col on the ridge. 8)

Stalker's path up Coire Ghaidheil
IMG_8108-largec.JPG

View back from col
IMG_8115-large.JPG

The path spilled out on to the ridge right beside the remains of a stone built shelter. This was a useful marker for where the path started when we returned to it on the descent. We had a brief stop here and reminded each other to drink plenty as the day was warm.

A rest at the col
IMG_8118-large.JPG

An Socach's north top
IMG_8116-large.JPG

Starting up ridge
IMG_8119-large.JPG

We picked up a faint path from the col which seemed to fizzle out fairly quickly. I was tending round to the right (which is where I later discovered the path had gone) but Moira suggested we head straight up, which is what we did (in zig zag fashion, with a bit of grass clutching) until we topped out and found the path again coming in from the right. As we gained height the views improved all the time, with the Mullardochs to the north and the Affric trio I did with Liz and Roger in pride of place. What a day that was. :D

Beinn Fhionnlaidh, Carn Eige, Mam Sodhail
IMG_8123-large.JPG

Once on An Socach's north top the view to the west opened up and we got our first sight of An Socach with its south ridge stretching down towards the glen we'd come from. SMC suggested ascending by the south ridge and back the way we'd come and it was tempting to continue on down that ridge, except we knew from the map it was very steep further down and our knees didn't fancy that. So although a longer distance we decided to stick with the devil we knew and return the way we came. :wink:

An Socach's south ridge from north top
IMG_8124-large_stitch-large.jpg

An Socach summit (921m)
IMG_8132-large.JPG

North east to An Socach's north top
IMG_8129-large.JPG

South to Mullach Fraoch-choire
IMG_8130-large.JPG

West to Sgurr nan Ceathramhnan (pointy one)
IMG_8131-large.JPG

It was good to see the ridge connecting the two remaining Affric Munros, which I hope to return to soon, probably staying a couple of nights at the hostel.

Panorama from Sgurr nan Ceathramhnan to Mullach na Dheiragain (Moira's pic)
67242910_10157317181358788_3551089611851694080_o-large.jpg

We had a leisurely late lunch at the summit before starting the return journey. It was no hardship to reverse our outward route as the view north to the Mullardochs was so easy on the eye and this time I kept a lookout for the path that wound its way down to the col again.

Distant Loch Mullardoch and other An Socach
IMG_8136-large.JPG

We picked up the stalker's path and made better time in descent although the muddy sections further down were still pretty lethal and Moira took a tumble to add bruises to her cleg bites. :thumbdown:

Back down the stalker's path
IMG_8137-large.JPG

Look at that sky now
IMG_8140-largec.JPG

Bridge at Athnamullach, Strawberry Cottage on left
IMG_8143-largec.JPG

River Affric
IMG_8145-largec.JPG

Last look back at Athnamullach
IMG_8146-largec.JPG

Walking from Athnamullach back to the car we were once again subject to a brutal cleg attack and although more covered up than Moira they got their wicked way with me and two days later I counted 12 angry hard weals which drove me half crazy with itchiness - and I'm still bearing the scars two weeks later. And yes I did use Smidge but it seemed to make no difference. Added to that they can bite through clothing and from the bites I had around my waist can get under clothing wherever there's the slightest gap. :-o

If I sound fairly obsessed with clegs that would be about right. They are almost (almost but not quite) enough to stop me going out to where they might be. I went into Fisherfield on Friday well covered up and using Lifesystem Expedition Plus (containing controversial Deet which I'm told is the only thing that will repel them) and still got a few bites, but this time not on exposed skin but through my sleeve. So the answer might be to wear as little as possible and slather skin in toxic chemicals.... :shock:

All I can say is roll on autumn!
Last edited by dogplodder on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Perfection on An Socach but bloodshed in Glen Affric

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:00 pm

Wow how timely is this TR as I'm heading for the Youth Hostel Alltbeithe this weekend to tackle the 3 Munro's behind the hostle,and as a bonus walking in from Glen Affric,thanks Dogplodder
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby JimboJim » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:27 pm

I was there a few days later. Hottest day ever in UK! Few clegs on way in, but two days later, on way back the clegs were vicious, but I only got caught out a couple of times. Saying that, I was thrashing, swiping, slapping, blowing, like I was having a fit :) Personally, I hate the midges more. I think you have a fighting chance with clegs, but best you can hope for with midges is an honourable draw. Best technique is to actually let the cleg lad, then batter the living daylights out of it, when it goes to bite. I would accept the difficulty in Glen Affric, was their general numbers and in some parts, was like Cleg Alley! =D

Had similar experience with the puddles. That said, it was a beautiful part of the world and I hope to return soon. Not a case of once bitten, twice shy :)

Great report by the way. Much prefer decent commentary with pics.

Hope you are both recovered by now!

Jimmy
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:16 pm

Great photos - lovely clear day. Hope Moira's legs are recovered :roll:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:08 am

I feel your pain!!

A few summers ago (on the same walk) I was driven nuts by these monsters.

Promised myself I wouldn't return to this area in cleg season and so far I've stuck to it.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:34 am

I'm glad you had a good day on An Socach, girls :D This route gives true justice to this, otherwise insignificant, Munro. For most baggers it's merely an addition to Ceathramhnan traverse, but it's a nice mountain and well worth a separate trip.

Shame about clegs. They seem to get worse every year :roll: We went for a walk in the woods last week, mainly to pick some chanterelles (we know good spots near Inverness where people don't exercise dogs) and we were mercilessly attacked by the whole swarm of these beasts. I was wearing long trousers, still they got through them to my legs. Arghhhh. If I could permanently erase one species from this planet it would be clegs :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby dogplodder » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:03 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Wow how timely is this TR as I'm heading for the Youth Hostel Alltbeithe this weekend to tackle the 3 Munro's behind the hostle,and as a bonus walking in from Glen Affric,thanks Dogplodder

Wondering how it went and how my currently least favourite creatures on the planet behaved? :twisted:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:11 pm

JimboJim wrote:I was there a few days later. Hottest day ever in UK! Few clegs on way in, but two days later, on way back the clegs were vicious, but I only got caught out a couple of times. Saying that, I was thrashing, swiping, slapping, blowing, like I was having a fit :) Personally, I hate the midges more. I think you have a fighting chance with clegs, but best you can hope for with midges is an honourable draw. Best technique is to actually let the cleg lad, then batter the living daylights out of it, when it goes to bite. I would accept the difficulty in Glen Affric, was their general numbers and in some parts, was like Cleg Alley! =D

Had similar experience with the puddles. That said, it was a beautiful part of the world and I hope to return soon. Not a case of once bitten, twice shy :)

Great report by the way. Much prefer decent commentary with pics.

Hope you are both recovered by now!

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy! Great report and had to smile at picture of your manic thrashing about on way out of glen. My problem with clegs is no sooner landed than fangs in, they don't hang about looking at menu! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:39 am

dogplodder wrote:
gammy leg walker wrote:Wow how timely is this TR as I'm heading for the Youth Hostel Alltbeithe this weekend to tackle the 3 Munro's behind the hostle,and as a bonus walking in from Glen Affric,thanks Dogplodder

Wondering how it went and how my currently least favourite creatures on the planet behaved? :twisted:

It went very well thanks,the weather was a real bonus with no rain all weekend until an hour before we returned back to the car on Sunday morning........As for the midges.................ARRRRGGGHHHHH.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:17 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Great photos - lovely clear day. Hope Moira's legs are recovered :roll:

The strange thing is that although her legs were streaming with blood on the day she had nothing like the reaction I had two days later with itchy lumps that I've still got the scars from! :eh:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:30 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
Promised myself I wouldn't return to this area in cleg season and so far I've stuck to it.

I've come to conclusion summer is my least favourite season for walking - only thing going for it being the long daylight. :-|
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:01 pm

BlackPanther wrote:I'm glad you had a good day on An Socach, girls :D This route gives true justice to this, otherwise insignificant, Munro. For most baggers it's merely an addition to Ceathramhnan traverse, but it's a nice mountain and well worth a separate trip.

Shame about clegs. They seem to get worse every year :roll: We went for a walk in the woods last week, mainly to pick some chanterelles (we know good spots near Inverness where people don't exercise dogs) and we were mercilessly attacked by the whole swarm of these beasts. I was wearing long trousers, still they got through them to my legs. Arghhhh. If I could permanently erase one species from this planet it would be clegs :lol:

Thanks BP, it's partly your report that inspired us to do it this way! :clap:

On the cleg front, we were out in the Mamores yesterday from morning to dusk and not a cleg in sight - just a few midges in the car park. So hopefully the worst is over for this year. 8)
dogplodder

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland