walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Take the high road - the Dutch were impressed

Take the high road - the Dutch were impressed

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:51 am

Route description: GGW 4 High Route: Fort Augustus to Invermoriston

Date walked: 05/04/2019

Distance: 12 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm so far behind with reports I fully intended doing that I obviously find it much harder writing them up than walking them! But this section of the GGW is a cracker and deserves a plug. So here we go - better late than never.

We parked in Invermoriston and took the bus to Fort Augustus from where we walked back. After taking the low route from Invermoriston to Drum we were keen to take the high route this time. In any case we had walked the low route years ago so it was good to try something new.

We followed the WH directions out of the village and took a path to the left into the woods at the GGW sign opposite the Three Bridges B & B.

DSC_0582-largec.JPG

Dappled sunlight lit the path between the trees and a short climb led up to an area of tall stately pines which looked like strong contenders for the tallest tree in Scotland competition.

Tall pines
DSC_0583-large-large.JPG

DSC_0584-largec.JPG

We passed a couple of waterfalls.

DSC_0585-largec.JPG

DSC_0586-largec.JPG

DSC_0588-largec.JPG

We turned right on to a forest track and continued on to a seat with a view before taking a left turn that led up to the high route option. Once on the open moorland the ambience completely changes and after being visually tree bound it was a welcome relief to get the view down the Great Glen towards the Loch Lochy hills, still snow capped (it being early April).

View down Great Glen with snow capped Loch Lochy hills on right
DSC_0589-largec.JPG

Fort Augustus
DSC_0591-largec.JPG

My pal having a coffee
DSC_0592-largec.JPG

Snow on hills on east side of Loch Ness
DSC_0593-largec.JPG

I would agree with WH that this section is one of the highlights of the GGW and it would have been a shame to have missed it by taking the low route. We had planned to stop for lunch in the nicely constructed viewpoint but when we got there it was full of walkers on holiday from the Netherlands and we couldn't have squeezed in if we'd tried. We stood and blethered with them for a while before walking on to find another place to stop, although I've got no memory of where that was.

Great path
DSC_0595-largec.JPG

DSC_0596-largec.JPG

DSC_0600-large.JPG

Masses of primroses
DSC_0602-largec.JPG

DSC_0603-largec.JPG

Further on we met another couple of Dutch folk who were ecstatic about the wonderful scenery and were amazed when we said it would get better than this as they reached further south. Although now that I've walked the section between Gairlochy and Fort William I'm not sure that's true as it's all at canal level and without the elevation doesn't make the most of the mountains around.

DSC_0605-large_stitchc-large.jpg

DSC_0608-largec.JPG

DSC_0609-largec.JPG

When we reached the forestry above Invermoriston there was another change of mood as we plunged into a dark forbidding place with the ground falling very steeply from the path down towards Loch Ness, not that you could see it as the trees were so closely planted.

Into the scary woods
DSC_0610-largec.JPG

We descended steeply in zig zags and commented we were quite glad we weren't doing it on the ascent.

DSC_0611-largec.JPG

DSC_0612-large.JPG

DSC_0615-largec.JPG

The path crossed a couple of tracks and led down to reach a minor road in Glen Moriston where we turned right. This led to the A82 which took us past the old Telford bridge over the River Moriston, on the way back to where the car was parked.

Old stone bridge
DSC_0616-largec.JPG
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland