walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunday Funday at Braemore

Sunday Funday at Braemore

Postby Jaxter » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:21 pm

Route description: Beinn Enaiglair, Braemore Junction

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Enaiglair

Grahams included on this walk: Meall Doire Faid

Date walked: 28/07/2019

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 14.29 km

Ascent: 1022m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday’s weather looked like the best window would be early – we’d had an invite to join David on Liathach but when I looked at the wind speed I decided I didn’t fancy being anywhere near a ridge :shock: so we were off on our own – an hour’s drive took us to Braemore Junction where we parked up and headed off down the track.

Fannaichs

Creag Rainich

Despite the mental winds that were forecast, generally down here it was hot and calm which meant clegs :shock: Fortunately not too many of them, but more than we wanted :shock:

We followed the track up the zigzags past the “Hall” and soon were into wilder territory

Home loch

Malky leading the way in uncharacteristically bright colours

We passed a cairn which we assumed was the turn off for the bealach nam Buchan path and ignored it. As it turned out we should have taken it, as our track wasn’t actually marked on the map afterall :roll: This meant we had to bash through a load of heather to get back to the traversing path we were supposed to be on…doh :roll:

Looking back to the Fannaichs starting to come out of the cloud

Looking ahead – on the skyline is the ridge coming down from Beinn Dearg

Although Malky had suggested heading up the ridge of Beinn Enaiglair we decided to follow the more sheltered path around the back and into the corrie – more distance but less wind as well as a better path for people with niggling injuries :roll:

The path hopped from side to side of the burn which was no problem today in dry conditions but after a wetter spell might have become troublesome. As we got further up the glen we could see the impressive cliffs of Creag Bac na Faire

Shortly after the path zigzagged steeply up the hill and brought us out in a wee hollow. It was getting windier

Views down the other side towards Loch a’ Gharbhrain were a bit misty

The path was even better here making for good underfoot conditions, even if we had to hold onto our hats :lol:

The ridge of Meallan Mhurchaidh, where our path would eventually go

Malky was convinced there was an unmarked path up the corrie that zigzagged onto the ridge, and he was right – it’s faint at first but marked by a small cairn and is worth following

Glimpses of Ullapool from the zigzags

Beinn Dearg (the Ullapool one :wink: )

It’s not a good day when Malky is the normal looking one :shock:

On the ridge it was a short walk to the cairn

Beinn Dearg looking a bit ominous

Looking down to Ullapool and Loch Broom

Loch a’ Bhraon and the Fisherfield hills

Which way is the café?

Summit of Beinn Enaiglair

A bit dark and hazy but still stunning

An Teallach is under there somewhere :roll:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear

Loch Feith nan Cleireach

Meall Doire Faid

We followed relatively good ground down for a while before descending what can only be described as absolute sh*te :roll:

At the bealach we met up with the path which we could have picked up higher if we’d traversed the ridge a bit further east :roll: At least the sun was hitting the lochans and it was bonny 8)

Meall Doire Faid – let’s smash it in the face!

As we peeked out the corrie about halfway up we could see that An Teallach had almost cleared!

A few spots of rain here quickly became heavier and we rushed to put dry things into dry bags and add jackets. We both looked at a steep grassy rake and decided it looked tasty… (apologies for Malky’s slightly less tasty leg :crazy:

The rain passed through very quickly and had stopped before we reached the top of the rake, let alone the summit and Beinn Enaiglair looked much brighter 8)

We found a rock which sheltered us from the wind where we could eat as we were starving! Unfortunately the rain started up again but funnily the rock and my hood along with the strong winds from behind meant that I was completely sheltered from it and was able to eat my lunch in the dry :lol:

After a while it was time to go – the rain let off temporarily as we headed down reasonable slopes. However this very quickly changed as the rain set in permanently and the ground turned to crap again :roll:

It was now chucking it down which totally soaked the long grass and heather we encountered as we dropped lower. Our boots were soaked very quickly (precisely why I normally wear gaiters :roll: ) and we gave up caring and just bashed our way through everything – down on the relative flat we still had a distance to smash through to the car

Unfortunately the wind had dropped and the midges were out in force as we tried to change out of our wet things and into dry things and in the end it was a bit of a rubbish job before we jumped in the car and flew off with the windows open trying to get rid of the little buggers :roll:

In hindsight we ought to have got a slightly earlier start to avoid the miserable last hour but nevermind :lol:

Enaiglair.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:205   Corbetts:125
Grahams:63   Donalds:46
Sub 2000:93   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:69   Islands:31

Re: Sunday Funday at Braemore

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:40 am

Ahh you beat me to it :lol: My TR on this route is still pending...

We climbed both hills on the 16th of July, a slightly different approach, involving the full traverse of Meall Doire Faid ridge and we also added Meall Leacahcain to the round. It just shows that we are loosing it, taking detours to include Humps and Simms :roll: :roll:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:165
Grahams:114   
Sub 2000:49   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland