walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rain and River Crossings in Ardgour...

Rain and River Crossings in Ardgour...

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:20 am

Route description: Beinn na h-Uamha

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn na h-Uamha

Date walked: 05/06/2019

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Vlog:

Beinn na h-Uamha

My final day away and another unclimbed Corbett (well apart from the two I inadvertently re did on the Sunday !! oops).

Beinn na h-Uamha wasn’t too far from yesterdays hill, and I did think of climbing it yesterday, however I decided against this as I wanted to explore Glen Gour, another glen I hadn’t previously visited!

Leaving the campsite, the rain was already falling and this was a theme for the rest of the day! Parking up at Sallachan, I started the walk along the puddle filled track with a river crossing running through my thoughts. It had been pretty wet for the last few days and if the river was in spate , I wouldn’t find out if I can cross the river until about 4km up the Glen!

ImageGlen Gour by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

This is a lovely glen and wild and rugged mountains fill your views as you head up pat the loch and into the upper reaches. Eventually I left the rack and headed for the river crossing and glad I did as I came across a lovely dead tree which proved to be relatively photogenic.

ImageThe Gour Tree by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

A few snaps and I was on my way ready to cross the river. It wasn’t too back, however without gaiters and waterproof boots, I’d have had wet feet!!

At this point you pass some more cracking old oak trees at the side of the river before crossing a bog to reach the hills side. The lower slopes were fern covered but as height is gaining rocks and heather take over!! The wind was howling and the rain pouring , so I was glad when I reached the damp summit and quickly about turned.

Keen to avoid being high in the cloud and rain, I looked at the map and saw a spur off to the south that gave a quicker (and steeper) descent down to the river which I took. The views over to the rugged Garbh Bheiin were impressive even though the summits were in the cloud.

Another river crossing and a long walk back to the van was done and now it was time to catch the ferry and head home. A grand wee adventure away in the camper van
wilkiemurray

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland