walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The 'Newtons' - best traverse of the Ochils

The 'Newtons' - best traverse of the Ochils

Postby Jaywizz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:18 pm

Date walked: 04/08/2019

Distance: 6.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Getting out to the hills this year has been a challenge. Only able to leave the house for a couple of hours at a time, I looked more closely at my nearest hills, the Ochils. Poring over maps, route planning has always been part of the enjoyment, so what fun to plan a traverse, just a personal choice of hills that could link together in a line, but could be picked off singly or a couple at a time, initially no trips being no longer than half a day. Best of all, as it's my list, no need to be constrained by watershed, height above neighbouring summits etc. Indeed, no constraints at all - just some favourites, some I have not (yet) visited, and some possibly hardly ever visited by anyone!

The Newtons s.jpg

The original idea was not to further classify at all, just to enjoy the walks, but, out of interest, I colour coded the list by altitude, and, for real fanatics/obsessives, McMole has kindly added the further classifications.
WH The list.jpg

So to the walk descriptions. Please see McMole's entries for full descriptions of this and also those done earlier this year. Our latest foray is described below.

4th August : Sim's Hill, John's Hill (Dunning Glen)
6.5km, 300m ascent

WH route.gif

The forecast was not promising. The hills were invisible in cloud but we agreed a 'reconnoitring' trip would be in order. Easy parking at Littlerig (GR NO 017082) and then across the road and on to the track heading towards Corb Glen. Visibility nil. I tried to cheer McMole by describing the view we should have seen ...................
Arriving at the watershed we decided to continue up the hill. Through the gate, then after avoiding some very marshy ground around the watershed, we struck uphill. Very wet tall grasses in the face, easing as we gained height.
WH sheep path 2.jpg
Delight! Found a sheep path over the wet ground!

WH Is this the top 1.jpg
Is this the top? Sim's Hill

As we dropped back to the col, still very poor visibilty, we discussed the luxury of GPS. Then up to our second hill of the day.
WH is this the top 2.jpg
Is this the top? John's Hill

sheep.jpg
McMole's photo - can you see the sheep?

Amazingly, on our descent back towards the track, the cloud began to break up below us, and 'views' started to appear.
WH cloud lifting.jpg
Looking north-east as the cloud began to lift

WH A view.jpg
Looking back towards Corb Glen - couldn't see any of this on our way up!

Recent Forum posts have highlighted changes in the hills over many years - yes, the Munros are decidedly busier. Wandering in the Ochils there are often no paths and we rarely meet anyone at all. There are out-of-the-way delights to be discovered (although I do realise I'm not the first to walk through Corb Glen or fall about in the forest on North Hill!!)
The hills gathered for my Ochils Traverse are not 'yet another list' - just a collection of tops I look forward to exploring and walking over. There's so much out there away from the busy hills and tourist/baggers paths. Space for us all to enjoy (whatever the summer weather!!)
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland