walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Arder and Wetter than ever before....

Arder and Wetter than ever before....

Postby Jaxter » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:48 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bha'ach Àrd

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Bha'ach Ard

Date walked: 08/08/2019

Time taken: 4.3 hours

Distance: 16.97 km

Ascent: 866m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I’ve always liked the idea of climbing hills without a car – my first few forays into Scottish hillwalking were from Glasgow on the train - and when it can be done by bike it’s even better! As I’d been planning to use Inverness as a base camp for the summer I was looking at nearby options. Some of the more ridiculous options had been jettisoned (or put on hold until fitness was returned) but Beinn a’ Bha’ach Ard was one that I’d had my eye on. I was up early and on the 8.55 train to Beauly. 15 minutes later I was off the train and heading towards Strathfarrar.
ImageThe strange tree man

ImageStruy bridge and the Strathfarrar turn off

ImageStruy bridge

An hour later I was striding off down the road – originally I’d planned to head up the path behind Milton cottage but I couldn’t see an obvious path and didn’t really want to go poking round too much so decided to return that way and walked off in search of the Power Station
ImageCuligran Power Station

The track led me up and through the trees before meeting the Allt Dubh-Ghlaic beneath some cliffs
ImageImpressive cliffs

ImageApproaching a wee power house

There was a lot of water in the burns after the recent rain but it looks like there had been far more during the deluge
ImageThe power of water

The track actually continued much further than on the map and I followed it alongside the burn as it climbed steeply upwards – figured it made sense to take advantage of it! Eventually the track levelled out and it made sense to leave it before it went back downhill – the summit of Beinn a’ Bha’ach Ard ahead
ImageTime to head off piste

There was something of an ATV track which gave me something to follow for a while before I headed more directly uphill. It was very very wet underfoot – what would normally have been fairly squishy terrain was even more waterlogged after the recent rain
ImageWalking across a marsh

As I climbed higher the ground dried out a little but became much more heathery and I found myself having to dodge around the worst of it. But I did seem to be getting somewhere
ImageLooking back down the ridge

And then suddenly the ground underfoot became far better and I was able to actually walk rather than stumble :lol:
ImageAhead to the summit

Just as I was finally on the ridge and thought I was getting somewhere I was presented with a huge dip to cross :roll:
ImageA crevasse to cross

I could see all the way back to Inverness and the Kessock Bridge
ImageZoomed to Inverness and the Kessock Bridge

Up and over the crevasse I was climbing on good ground again
ImageLooking back

The final ascent
ImageAhead to the summit and the ridge down

The final climb was steep but with good ground it was over quickly and I could see down the glen
ImageGlen Strathfarrar

It was time for some lunch and a bit of a rest!
ImageThe ridge ahead to Sgurr a’ Phollain

Although a lot of the higher peaks were in cloud it was possible to make out some landmarks
ImageThe Sgurrs

ImageLooking down Glen Orrin

ImageThe Strathfarrar munros

ImageBeinn a' Bha'ach Ard

Someone had left this on the trig point
ImageA very large ladybug

My route up
ImageBack down the ridge

ImageStrathfarrar

ImageTrig at the summit

The munros didn’t seem too keen to clear
ImageStrathfarrar munros

I could see cloud coming in from the east so figured it was time to go – ironically the closer the cloud came the clearer the west got :lol:
ImageClearer down Glen Orrin

Looking back to the summit
ImageLooking back to the summit

ImageMunros now clearer

Some dramatic cloud around over Sgurr a' Mhuillin

This sparked some furious debate but I was correct - it's Beinn Eighe. Can't mistake that colour 8)

It was a very enjoyable ridge despite the extra bits of ascent on it! And it had the advantage of keeping me high to enjoy the views for longer
ImageDSC06583

From Sgurr a’ Phollain (only 7m lower than the actual summit) I could see that the east face of Beinn a’ Bha’ach Ard is the most exciting
ImageLooking back to Beinn a' Bha'ach Ard

My ridge ought to drop me at the lochan – here’s hoping!
ImageLoch na Beiste

ImageLooking back to the munros

A bit misty and blocked by other nobbles and bobbles but Loch Orrin is clear
ImageLoch Orrin

Walking through the edges of the big cloud was a bit surreal – I was getting the odd wee bit of moisture but I must have just missed the nastier bit (and so I should – it was forecast to be a dry day!)
ImageWeird clouds

Looking further down Glen Orrin towards the Strathconon forest
ImageFurther into Glen Orrin

It was a significant drop down from here but largely a good path – I could see a few peat hags down below :shock:
ImageDown the ridge

ImageLooks boggy

Although the path was largely great, zigzagging down the steepest sections, there was one bit that became a swamp, filled my shoes with all manner of green and brown stuff and nearly sent me flying onto my backside :lol:
ImageLooking back to the summit

As I got lower the path became indistinct and I lost it a few times but generally picked it up. However as I dropped it did get more and more like a swamp :roll: My path became running water, the bracken got higher and the heather was all over the place. By this point there were probably all sorts of different paths but at least it was pretty :roll:
ImageSome pretty trees

While stumbling over all sorts of rubbish underfoot I had plenty of chances to look back to my hill – I was going to fall over anyway :lol:
ImageLooking back to the striking ridge

The lochan is just the other side of that nobble
ImageBoggy mcbogface

Finally at Loch na Beiste :thumbup:
ImageLoch na Beiste & Beinn a' Bha'ach Ard

From here the path was a little clearer but no less wet :roll: It finally led me to a couple of fences with a large gate down to a burn which is probably more of a trickle under usual circumstances but today is was more of an undertaking. My feet were soaked anyway so no matter :lol: :crazy:
ImageRiver crossing!

From here I was on a track – a bit squishy and overgrown in places but much better underfoot than the last hour’s worth of stumbling :roll:
ImageLooking back

ImageNot the most obvious track

The track brought me out past a few houses and through a small gate across from the car park – not obviously a track so wouldn’t be visible unless you knew it was there!
ImageBack at the bike

I got slated for not having any bike photos in my last report so here’s two in a row :wink:
ImageStruy bridge

I decided to head along the south road to make it a circular route back to Beauly with the advantages of some different views
ImageAcross the River Beauly to Beinn a' Bha'ach Ard

ImageLooking back

I then got a bit overexcited and decided it was only an extra 13 miles back to Inverness so set off all the way home. Unfortunately I hit a rock and blew a tyre a few minutes after making this decision (exactly the same thing that had happened a few days earlier on Harris – same wheel and everything :roll: I should probably look where I’m going :crazy: ). While I was up my elbows in grease fixing it my boss phoned – perfect timing :lol: Then I was on my way again, into the wind the whole way.
ImageKessock bridge - nearly home!

As I as passing Bunchrew campsite I was so surprised to see Bod and his grandson that I almost cycled past without realising :lol: A lovely surprise and a perfect excuse to stop for a breather :wink: Then it was a few miles further up the road where I felt I’d deserved to stop at Tesco’s to pick up ice cream for tea 8)

Flat tyre aside, a smashing day oot 8)

Beinn_a_Bha_ach_Ard.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

cycle to strathfarrar.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Arder and Wetter than ever before....

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:17 pm

You must have been as light on your feet as a prima ballerina to maintain the clean pink of your trainers through the mud and wet all the way to the summit :shock: :clap: :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Arder and Wetter than ever before....

Postby Jaxter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:08 am

Alteknacker wrote:You must have been as light on your feet as a prima ballerina to maintain the clean pink of your trainers through the mud and wet all the way to the summit :shock: :clap: :D

Ah well it was just so wet it was like wading through water all the way up..the mud came on the way down - should have got a before and after photo :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland