walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a Bhuiridh between trains.

Beinn a Bhuiridh between trains.

Postby del1949 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:41 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bhuiridh, near Loch Awe

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhuiridh

Date walked: 15/06/2019

Time taken: 5.16 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 855m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn a Bhuiridh 1.jpg
Loch Awe on the way up
Beinn a Bhuiridh 3.jpg
Crossing Monadh Driseig, Beinn a' Bhuiridh ahead
I was staying in Crianlarich. The plan was to walk to Beinn a' Bhuiridh starting from Loch Awe railway station and finishing at the Falls of Cruachan station. The 10:15 Oban train was about 25 mins late. Initially there was myself and one other guy waiting, we were soon to be joined by a lot of other people. One group was taking the train to Corrour to accompany a guy for his final Munro, Beinn na Lap. Others were travelling to Oban to take part in a Scottish Independence rally.
I set off from Loch Awe at 11:15, this gave me five and half hours to complete the walk, could be a bit of a struggle for this OAP!
I walked along the A85 road to the B8077, there is a path alongside the A85 which ends near the road junction. Immediately after turning onto the B8077 there is a track on the left, over the gate and I followed the track around the east end of the ridge leading to Monadh Driseig to the next gate. Here a fence comes down off the hillside to cross the track.
Immediately after the second gate I started uphill. Views were restricted due to low cloud with all the nearby Munros covered. My waterproof gear had to be used frequently today. I did not visit the trig point on Monadh Driseig I passed it about a hundred yards to the north. At the bealach between Monadh Driseig and the east ridge of Beinn a' Bhuiridh I was enveloped in thick warm mist which had drifted up and over onto to the hillside, this cleared after several minutes.
As I approached the cairn at the west end of Beinn a Bhuiridh, reached at 14:40, I looked back to see dark clouds heading straight for me, also I spotted another cairn that I had passed by, it soon disappeared in the mist. I headed back towards it, being unsure which cairn was the summit cairn, I changed my mind in the thick mist and returned to the west cairn. Fortunately three walkers appeared, one of them had a Sat Nav and confirmed that the west cairn was the summit cairn.
I was concerned that I might miss the 16:42 train to Crianlarich, so took a compass bearing towards the Cruachan Dam road and off I went. The hillside above the dam road is steep and in my haste I slipped and down I went. After I recovered myself I looked back to see my trekking poles still stuck in the ground, ten feet or so above!
I found the path which leads down to the Falls of Cruachan station, which is not marked on the map, I had last used this path many years previously to access the Cruachan Horse shoe. As the trees are entered there is a deer fence with a stile which was falling to pieces, attempts had been made to secure it, but I had no confidence in the wet worn wood. It took me a little while to get over this obstacle I climbed mostly over the deer fence. The path down through the trees was very muddy, using the trees as a brake to prevent slipping worked well except each time I grabbed a tree I was shaking water down onto myself. I finally arrived at the station about 16:25 very wet.
The train was about 20 minutes late.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Beinn a Bhuiridh 2.jpg
Looking back at Monadh Driseig
Beinn a Bhuiridh 4.jpg
Beinn a'Bhuiridh east ridge
Beinn a Bhuiridh 5.jpg
Beinn a' Bhuiridh summit ahead before the cloud arrived
Beinn a Bhuiridh 6.jpg
Summit cairn
beinn a Bhuiridh 7.jpg
Looking back at the Cruachan Dam
del1949
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:39
Hewitts:82
Wainwrights:53   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland