walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Invisible Wizard's Train

The Invisible Wizard's Train

Postby zatapathique » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:21 am

Route description: Sgùrr Thuilm and Sgùrr nan Coireachan

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan), Sgùrr Thuilm

Date walked: 13/06/2019

Time taken: 8.8 hours

Distance: 24.4 km

Ascent: 1495m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

20190613_ACTIVE LOG071325_Grafik2D.jpg
Altitude profile

After I had paused the previous day because of the poor weather and sore feet, and stayed in my cabin to read, I was eager to go to the hills again. After a lengthy analysis of all weather reports, I opted for a longer drive to Glenfinnan and to better weather.

The car park was nearly empty when I arrived - it would be jam-packed when I returned in the late afternoon. I soon reached the famous viaduct, and have to say that I was a bit disappointed. I can understand that back in 1897, it was a pioneer work in mass concrete, and it surely is nice to look at from a distance, but from up close, it is just rather ugly concrete (not a fan).
Bild0421 IMGP7409.JPG
Looking back to Glenfinnan Viaduct

Bild0423 DSC_0212.JPG
Looking ahead to the ridge leading up Sgùrr Thuilm

The little private road leading up Glen Finnan was good to walk on fast, and soon two young guys walking even faster overtook me. They had been up Aonach Mòr and Aonach Beag the previous day despite the low clouds and heavy winds - they said it wasn't too windy up there due to the Northwesterly wind, which I didn't quite understand. They were somewhat in a hurry and in no mood for much smalltalk, and went quickly on. In my mind they were from then on known as the "Two Aonaich".
Bild0425 IMGP7411.JPG
The two Aonaich speeding away, Sgùrr Thuilm hidden in the clouds and behind a false summit

Soon after, a gentleman in a Jeep who had before been speeding up the glen on the opposite side of the River Finnan stopped twice to first ask the two Aonaich, then me where we were heading. He was very friendly, wearing a tweed jacket, and seemed to be some sort of estate manager. I saw him again in the afternoon near the viaduct, talking to more people on the road.
When Glenfinnan Lodge came into view, all I could think was "what a magnificent place to have a house".
Soon after, I left the road to continue on the track leading to Loch Arkaig, passed the Corryhully bothy and a woman camping next to it with her dog. After a little ascent, the signposted (!) path to Sgùrr Thuilm forked off.
Bild0427 DSC_0213.JPG
Sgùrr Thuilm still hidden, the ridge between Sgùrr Thuilm and Sgùrr nan Coireachan visible

Panorama: Sgùrr nan Coireachan to the left, Sgùrr Thuilm to the right, both hidden from view :wink:

By this time, the two Aonaich were far ahead and above me, and I wouldn't see them again. I guess they were back down at the car park before I had even reached Sgùrr nan Coireachan. The walk itself was quite eventless - a good path to walk on all the time, and luck with the weather. Both summits were free of clouds when I was up there. I only had a little rain during the descent - just when I heard the Harry Potter train whistling.
I took my time and enjoyed the extensive views up to Skye.
Bild0432 DSC_0215.JPG
Looking back into Glen Finnan from the lower slopes of Sgùrr Thuilm

Bild0435 DSC_0218.JPG
Sgùrr nan Coireachen seen from the summit of Sgùrr Thuilm

Bild0438 IMGP7418.JPG
Loch Morar, Skye in the background

Bild0444 DSC_0222.JPG
The ridge between Sgùrr Thuilm and Sgùrr nan Coireachan

Bild0446 IMGP7422.JPG
Glen Finnan and the viaduct

Bild0445 IMGP7421.JPG
The viaduct up close

Bild0447 IMGP7423.JPG
Detail of the ridge, Sgùrr nan Coireachen in the background

Bild0451 DSC_0225.JPG
Sgùrr nan Coireachan summit, view along Loch Morar

Bild0457 DSC_0228.JPG
Descending from Sgùrr nan Coireachan

Bild0462 IMGP7428.JPG
All I saw of the Harry Potter train - a puff of steam

Bild0463 DSC_0233.JPG
Almost back on the valley floor, looking back to where I went up

Bild0472 IMGP7432.JPG
Deer grazing right next to the road

Bild0475 IMGP7433.JPG
Not the Harry Potter train

Panorama: the Glenfinnan Viaduct
Attachments

20190613_red.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

zatapathique
Mountain Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:4
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:26   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland