walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

zen and the art of marital maintenance

zen and the art of marital maintenance

Postby litljortindan » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:26 pm

Date walked: 08/07/2019

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 300m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We don't manage to go walking together on the west coast as much as I'd like so when the opportunity arises we book somewhere to stay and try to make the most of it, this time a one night stay in Gairloch with a walk round Lochs Clair and Coulin planned for the first day and no real plan for the second day.
Jill's criteria these days are warm and dry weather, good paths, woodland, low level walking or small hills and, since I sometimes don't feel too keen on big hill summer walking, those criteria are fine for me.
Having been round the aforementioned lochs earlier in the day the evening plan, after booking in at our hotel, was to drive out to Red Point for the sunset. This wasn't too exciting but there was some nice evening light on the Torridon hills and a fine enough sunset. As is often the case, the post sunset light is what was really memorable about the evening.
Next day we made the short detour to Victoria Falls and then decided on a walk along the Sgurr a' Chaorachain ridge or, as it turned out, a walk along half of the ridge.

Confrontation at Redpoint viewpoint.

Sunset.

Subtle (i.e. very little) light.

We had to stop and admire the colours.

Next morning, on the way to Victoria Falls and then Sgurr a' Chaorachain.

Victoria Falls -well worth the short detour as even the first of four drops seen here is impressive close up, as is the water slide further up the path beyond.

Pleasant spot above the main falls.

Close-up of the upper falls -about a third of the whole.

Stopping to admire the surroundings again.

Those boots have been going for ten years I think.

Various parts of my body may not be what they used to be but for a long time I was able to say I was most hairy headed guy in an office of twenty plus staff.

So we stopped and turned round at the penultimate top. We've along here together a few times but this time nerves got the better of Jill at the small step down to the continuation path. I was fine with that as I 'd rather keep what had thus far been an enjoyable and relatively rare west coast walk together just as that, enjoyable, rather than an unnecessary trauma.

We'd had a good couple of days of easy and pleasant walking but I returned home with a throat infection and some sort of flu. Initially I thought this might be a hay-fever reaction as I'd been foolish enough to leave the bedroom window open overnight and the pollen count had gone up from low to moderate but I don't think that was the problem.
Antibiotics for the throat after putting up with it for a week but another three weeks to get rid of a blocked nose, possibly prolonged by continuing my two games of football per week for the duration. Found at work, though , that several folk had been off ill with flu symptoms.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: zen and the art of marital maintenance

Postby Yorjick » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:12 am

Sgurr a' Chaorachain is one of my remaining (fourteen), Corbetts so really interested to see the videos! Really looking at Cioch Nose VD ***, but interesting to see what I can expect on reaching the main ridge. As much as I prefer still photography, your videos give a better overview of the topography and terrain. Thanks for posting! :clap:
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:41 pm

Yorjick wrote:Sgurr a' Chaorachain is one of my remaining (fourteen), Corbetts so really interested to see the videos! Really looking at Cioch Nose VD ***, but interesting to see what I can expect on reaching the main ridge. As much as I prefer still photography, your videos give a better overview of the topography and terrain. Thanks for posting! :clap:

Glad the videos are useful. I agree photos are a better way to capture a mountain scene but videos can be complementary, at least in terms of remembering trips, and, as you say, offer extra information about routes.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby scotsmist » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:00 pm

Fantastic photos.
scotsmist

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:13 pm

Some cracking pics there, as usual :thumbup:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:38 pm

scotsmist wrote:Fantastic photos.

Thanks!
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:40 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Some cracking pics there, as usual :thumbup:

Cheers!
litljortindan
Ambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland