walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Remote Rhue, Arisaig

Remote Rhue, Arisaig

Postby Daveyf » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:57 am

Date walked: 10/05/2019

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 100m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It had been a miserable wet start to the day, hadn’t stopped raining since the night before, then eventually after much praying it finally stopped. So I grabbed my coat and dog and off we went for just a short walk before the wet stuff came down again.

The minor road leaving Arisaig to the south hugs the coastline for about 3 miles when it comes to a turning circle which providing parking for maybe 6-8 cars. Having parked here the road does actually continue for residents vehicles only, to a couple of very remote properties, luckily no restrictions for us walkers so we follow the track through the gate passing a number of little natural harbours with the very still sea waters lapping at the rocks.
IMG_8023.JPG
Sheltered harbour

After approx. ¾ of a mile later I turn right, off the track and start the short climb up to the small hill of Cruach Rhue.
IMG_8024.JPG
Cruach Rhue

Cruach Rhue is only a mere 200ft but it does have beautiful views out to the islands. The rain clouds have passed now and there are patches of blue in the sky reflecting off the dead flat sea like a mirror with hundreds of tiny islands just breaking the surface.
IMG_8028.JPG
The distant Black and the Red Cuillin on Skye

DSC_0460.JPG
The Sound of Sleet from Cruach Rhue

DSC_0461.JPG
A hundred tiny Islands on a sheet of sea

IMG_8032.JPG
At Cruach Rhue

IMG_8033.JPG
Summit cairn at Cruach Rhue

There are a couple of other tiny hills on this peninsular all within a short distance from here, however accessing them is all the rough way, no paths at all and numerous deer fences to encounter which was a bit of a problem with a dog in tow so I decided not to bother!

From Cruach Rhue I headed back to the track and continued wandering along it eventually passing a couple of very remote houses where a sign points towards the beach, which is about ½ mile away along the beautifully named ‘path to the Sands of Morar’. I’m regretting it now but I wish I had followed that path down to the tiny isolated beach, however my eyes are usually drawn to the higher ground and that’s where my legs took me, a wee hill to the left which needed to be explored. So we took the route up and soon had a grand view over another little natural harbour called Port á Bhathaich.
DSC_0463.JPG
Path to the Sands of Morar

DSC_0465.JPG
Another tiny harbour at Port a' Bháthaich

There is a route down from the hill top to the coast line and possibly a route from there to the other hills, however the descent looked a bit too steep to take the dog down and covered in waist high fern, so reluctantly I rounded the top of the hill and headed back to the remote houses and with rain clouds looming I decided to call it a day and head back along the track to the car, just making it before the heavens opened once again.
IMG_8036.JPG
Remote Rhue

Arisaig is a beautiful and rugged area and certainly worthy of further exploration. I’ve only been here for a week and there are so many walks to discover, however today is my last day before moving on to pastures new.
Daveyf
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:101
Wainwrights:66   Islands:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland